Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin to make my jeep sound a little meaner. I am looking at either a Flowmaster Super 40 or 44. My plan in to remove the third non o2'd cat and have the tip out in front of the rear tire all with 2.5" pipe. Does anyone here have something similar and mainly how is the drone especially around 60-65 and 75-80 mph. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't know anyone that's done it but the Super series Flows aren't supposed to have the drone that the regular 40 series mufflers do. A Super 40 is a 5" case and has a little deeper tone than the Super 44 which has a 4" case. The 44 will fit better and probably will sound better IMO. I have the Super 44s on my 56 Chevy PU but haven't driven a 6 banger with one on it. They sound awesome behind a 350 SBC.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my magnaflow SS is quiet makes it sound like a chevy v8 with a hum

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I have the Super 44 with the tailpipe to the back like stock and it doesn't drone in the highway. At least not enough to be heard over road/wind noise (I have a soft top and half doors). I love the sound overall. The only time it gets kind of droney is in 2nd gear at about 20mph if you hold it at about 1700-1900 rpms. Not really a big deal, IMO.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Ive got a Mustang with Magnaflows & I dont get drone or popping.Sometimes I think I want a bit more noise though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think IMA try a 40 series delta flow according to flowmaster its just a little quieter than the super 40 or 44 with the least resonance

·
Registered
86 Posts
my magna flow back pops a little when going down a hill.
your just hearing the rumble of a straight thru hi flow muffler !

funny u say that I wouldn't mine a tad more sound , but either way it snice knowing we have straight thru performance and its quiet

Ive got a Mustang with Magnaflows & I dont get drone or popping.Sometimes I think I want a bit more noise though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys but now i have another question for anyone with a modified exhaust. I decided to go with the 40 series delta flow which according to flowmaster has the same 40 sound but with the least amount of interior noise and resonance of the group and i put the tailpipe out from under the body but in front of the rear tire. I usually am the driver in my jeep but my girlfriend was my DD one night so i rode shotgun. I noticed that there is alot less drone and noise from the exhaust on the passenger side vs the drivers side. On the passenger side there is just a low hum that you know is there but can easily tune it out while on the drivers side you know its there all the time. I am wondering if it has something to due with the all the heat shielding being on the passenger side. Does anyone else notice this if not, while riding just move your head to the passenger side, just doing that in mine you can tell a big difference. If you have found this in your ride how did you fix it. I was thinking of using that sound deadening mat stuff like dynamat or hushmat but ive never used the stuff. If you have let me know what is good to use.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for the help guys but now i have another question for anyone with a modified exhaust. I decided to go with the 40 series delta flow which according to flowmaster has the same 40 sound but with the least amount of interior noise and resonance of the group and i put the tailpipe out from under the body but in front of the rear tire. I usually am the driver in my jeep but my girlfriend was my DD one night so i rode shotgun. I noticed that there is alot less drone and noise from the exhaust on the passenger side vs the drivers side. On the passenger side there is just a low hum that you know is there but can easily tune it out while on the drivers side you know its there all the time. I am wondering if it has something to due with the all the heat shielding being on the passenger side. Does anyone else notice this if not, while riding just move your head to the passenger side, just doing that in mine you can tell a big difference. If you have found this in your ride how did you fix it. I was thinking of using that sound deadening mat stuff like dynamat or hushmat but ive never used the stuff. If you have let me know what is good to use.

I wanted ti run mine out by the tire look that up before u do it gives u less clearance and control arms are right there i ran mine just straight down after the muffler

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have already ran the tip. I have a long body so there was plenty of room between the skid plate and upper control arm mount so no real loss of clearance there. I am no stranger to loud exhaust my first car my Blazer had a flowmaster on it a week after I got it and now has 3inch

ForumRunner_20140610_233840.jpg

tubing with a thrush glass pack. My 12 camaro V6 I traded for the jeep had one of the loudest exhausts you could get on it. But if I could fix the drone cheap and easy why not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts