Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if the super 44 will fit on with my stock piping. i am just looking at buying the muffler itself and maybe some pipe for the back to have a straight out tip come out the back rather than having a turned down tip behind my hitch. I am just wondering the fitment of it and if its okay to install with no problems under neath. Also the stock pipe is 2.25" correct? any feed back would be awesome

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The tailpipe should be 2.25". I believe the inlet is also but on my 2000, the front of the muffler if very close to the flange at the catalytic converter. Also, I believe what you are calling a resonator would be the catalytic converter. It needs to remain to avoid engine codes, mixture problems and possibly emissions problems depending on where you live. The Super 44 is a 4" case so the physical size of the muffler should be similar to the stock muffler. Make sure the get the correct inlet and outlet locations to match the stock muffler so your tail pipe will work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tailpipe should be 2.25". I believe the inlet is also but on my 2000, the front of the muffler if very close to the flange at the catalytic converter. Also, I believe what you are calling a resonator would be the catalytic converter. It needs to remain to avoid engine codes, mixture problems and possibly emissions problems depending on where you live. The Super 44 is a 4" case so the physical size of the muffler should be similar to the stock muffler. Make sure the get the correct inlet and outlet locations to match the stock muffler so your tail pipe will work.
do wranglers have resonators? i didnt think they did i was pretty sure that was the cat. And do you know what inlet and outlet locations i should get? im pretty sure i know but just want to make sure. And it will work with my stock piping right?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just looked under my 00, 4.0. It is center inlet, offset outlet. The Flow will be a little shorter and the case may be just a little wider so you will need a short piece of pip to connect. I would recommend finding a good independent shop and get an estimate (or several if you want) on what one would cost installed, reusing your existing tail pipe if it's still in good shape. If you want it straight out, maybe have them cut the bend off and put a stainless tip on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looked under my 00, 4.0. It is center inlet, offset outlet. The Flow will be a little shorter and the case may be just a little wider so you will need a short piece of pip to connect. I would recommend finding a good independent shop and get an estimate (or several if you want) on what one would cost installed, reusing your existing tail pipe if it's still in good shape. If you want it straight out, maybe have them cut the bend off and put a stainless tip on it.
thats what i planned on doing. will it bolt on to the stock cat with no problem?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
They will have to cut the pipe behind the flange and weld the new muffler to it. Also, I forgot earlier but I have never seen a resonator on a TJ from the factory. I have seen where people have removed the cat and installed a long glass pack in place of it but I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They will have to cut the pipe behind the flange and weld the new muffler to it. Also, I forgot earlier but I have never seen a resonator on a TJ from the factory. I have seen where people have removed the cat and installed a long glass pack in place of it but I don't recommend it.
i didnt think there was either, someone told me there was when i was pretty sure there wasnt. I doubt any tjs would have them on there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts