Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a dumb question but is it normal for my oil pressurr gauge to go up and down a lot? Its normal (40) when i am driving but when i am stopped at a light it drops to about 20. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it normal for a 97?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I asked the same question today about my '98! I just got it a couple of days ago and almost had a heart attack the first time I saw the oil pressure gauge heading south when I stopped - I even pulled over expecting it to die (it didn't). The general consensus in my thread was that it's normal to fluctuate quite a bit depending on whether your foot's on the gas or on the brake.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If u are at idle it will drop down. But when u are at speed it will go back up around 45. The older tj's oil pressure gage tells u what ur oil pressure is, the newer tj's not sure on the year it changed. Will just show 45 or 0 and only if it drops bellow 3 I think it will go to zero. Mostly I think because people always freaked out and asked about it. So they put in a dummy one. But to answer ur question, it's normal

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Oil pressure is generated by the oil pump which is engine driven. Thus the oil pressure varies in step with engine RPMs. Older TJ oil pressure gauges show the normal ups and downs of the true oil pressure. Newer TJs had their oil pressure gauges reprogrammed to not show the true oil pressure and its normal ups and downs because it was unnecessarily alarming those who had never owned a vehicle with a real oil pressure gauge before. The dealers requested it because of all of their upset customers who refused believe their dealers who tried to explain it was normal.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Now it's just a oil pressure warning light with a needle instead of a lamp.
Next will be the speedo. Going or not going.

·
Registered
42 Posts
before i changed my oil to full synthetic the guage didnt move as freely and as much. now with synthetic it runs at 40 or just a smidge above and at idle its right at 20. its normal. it even seems to rum smoother with the synthetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts