Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my 09 wrangler Sahara D30 with a new d44 Spicer with the model number of #10010521. I have a problem with oil coming out of the top of the vent tube. I didn't have this problem with the old D30. The fluid has been topped off in the correct way and everything. I have 4.88 gears in it with a Eaton locker. I was told that the vent hose needs to be longer and set some where farther up due to the fluid being spun up so fast that it is being pushed up the hose

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did you fill it until it just starts to run out the bottom plug ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Some aftermarket diff covers have the fill hole too high which means they end up overfilled.
Not sure what brands but it might pay to check.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sounds like the fluid level is too high to me. Breather height shouldn't really matter that much with regard to fluid coming out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah, his cover appears to have 2 plugs. Filled to the bottom plug should be correct.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So I replaced my 09 wrangler Sahara D30 with a new d44 Spicer with the model number of #10010521. I have a problem with oil coming out of the top of the vent tube. I didn't have this problem with the old D30. The fluid has been topped off in the correct way and everything. I have 4.88 gears in it with a Eaton locker. I was told that the vent hose needs to be longer and set some where farther up due to the fluid being spun up so fast that it is being pushed up the hose
I have read a lot of threads about this with JK's.. the breather tube for my D60 goes up past the shock mount and it doesn't push any out. When I run the wife's '15 JK hard, it will push some out. I hate that smell..

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
yes sir, if you filled it to the top plug, it is overfull.
Should use the bottom plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my teraflex Dana44HD diff covers, the top hole is the high pinion angle fill hole. The lower plug hole is the normal fill level. This could be the problem.

Yes that is what I was told. I thought this dana Spicer 44 was a high pinion and filled it to the top hole

·
Registered
799 Posts
How much lift is on the jeep? If it's not lifted much and the pinion is correct, it will not have a high angle. On my 15 wrangler the stock pinion angle was around 2 degrees up front and back, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Yes that is what I was told. I thought this dana Spicer 44 was a high pinion and filled it to the top hole
It may be a high pinion housing but that is irrelevant, he said "high pinion angle", when you have a high pinion angle, you need more oil to reach the pinion bearings. It is doubtful that you need to worry about this, just fill it to the bottom hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts