Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rust spots - Album on Imgur

Hey guys -

I'm getting ready to do my first Fluid Film treatment, and I've got one quick question about a certain part where surface rust has started. I've read the sticky but I wanted to provide a picture of the spots in question to get proper advice.

How would you guys go about prepping these spots? I don't know what part of the car that is, but it's close to the wheel; is that going to be an issue? Would you suggest power washing - drying - then sanding / painting? I don't know how fluid Film works when partial rust has started.

The rest of the frame is spotless so I just intend on power washing - letting dry - and spraying the crap outta it.

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm guessing you are talking about the spindles. Mine were rusting too from just sitting on the car lot. It was still a mild surface rust so I used the spray rust inhibitor which turns rust into a hard black surface. After a few coats of that I masked off the calipers, rotors, etc., and coated the spindles several times with bed liner. Since my frame had no rust, I removed all my skid plates, wheels, and coated everything on the underside. I even tried my best to shoot the inside of the frame where the large holes are. So far after two year no rust.

The only thing I apply Fluid Film on is the drive shafts which I didn't want to coat with heavy paint since they are supposed to be balanced.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
I would wire brush, sand and clean the areas, then prime and paint it with a good paint like POR-15. Once dry have at it with the Fluid Film. Overkill some might say, but better than just shooting it with FF.

I agree with mike2ss with regard to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the third picture the spindle? I don't know what the drive shaft is. I'll have to google that tomorrow. I have the fluid Film 360 nozzle so I'll be able to get all over / in the frame

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would wire brush, sand and clean the areas, then prime and paint it with a good paint like POR-15. Once dry have at it with the Fluid Film. Overkill some might say, but better than just shooting it with FF.
Sorry man, didn't realize you had put a link to pictures. Yeah for that area I agree with demarpaint just brush/sand as best you can and prime it. Pretty much if you don't get it down to bare metal it's going to rust out again. The other area looked like your differential cover had paint peeling. Make sure you get all the loose paint off and treat any rusted areas like above.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
702 Posts
Then for the rest of the car, you think just wash and fluid film couple times a year? Thanks for the input
I'd say so. I haven't done mine in the two years I've owned it. Still looks pretty good. I don't think our salt in the winter is as bad as yours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say so. I haven't done mine in the two years I've owned it. Still looks pretty good. I don't think our salt in the winter is as bad as yours.
Gotcha. Yeah i had to lay my TJ down to rest because of rust essentially and it only had 60k miles I still feel guilty, so i'd really like to keep this one around for longer if possible.

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts
Remember, if you apply any sort of non-factory rustproofing or other protection products those items will no longer be covered by your warranty.

Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:

• installing accessories—except for genuine Chrysler /
MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealer;
applying rustproofing or other protection products;
• changing the vehicle’s configuration or dimensions,
such as converting the vehicle into a limousine or
food service vehicle; or
• using any refrigerant that Chrysler has not approved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts