Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 2014 JKU for over a year, recently got it lifted 2.5" and 35" tires, and also recently became informed about rusting. Checked and my jeep was rusty af from too much mudding and not washing. Anyway, I finally decided to buy a can of Fluid Film and use it. I washed my jeep, sprayed the underside with high pressure rinse like 10 times at least, took it back home, got underneath and started spraying anything that was rusty and looked like needed some (except exhaust and brakes). I dont know much about the anatomy of my jeep and my 2.5" lift doesnt make it any easier to get under it. I didnt really know what i was spraying or what i should have been spraying, so i was basically crawling and rolling all over the place spraying what I could. I focused a lot on my front axle area and everything up to the c gusset area because those areas are rusted af. The fact that I would like to reinforce my D30 whenever I am able to makes me even more worried because the C gusset area is completely covered in rust. I ended up getting at least a quarter of the can all over myself and my phone, a lot of stuff is now dripping in FF, and i basically did the best an 18 year old boy that doesnt know much about vehicles and is simply worried about his JKU's rust could. I was also pretty worried to end up spraying something i shouldnt have sprayed, so I basically only sprayed rusted stuff and stuff I knew i could spray 100%. Is there any advice you guys could give me? Should I go buy another can and redo this?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Get another can and go to town. Concentrate on the frame and fasteners. Avoid the brakes.

When it warms up, scrub the FF off and wire brush to bare metal and prime then paint or use a rust converter like Eastwood's on the parts you're worried about.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
IF just the under carriage it's a 2-3 can job and not even close to difficult. If one goes into the frame and body panels it is a 3-4 can job and still not difficult.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I have a great fluid film comparison pic, I took a new piece of flat iron I was using for a project. Taped up the center of it. Sprayed one half with fluid film. Left the other side untreated and let it sit outside on my fence all winter. Not a spot of rust on the fluid filmed side. Wish I could share the pic but I'm way over my allotment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just used FF on my stock JKU today used just the spray cans without the red straw and found that to be less of a spray and more of a single stream of fluid that came out and therefore couldn't get much coverage. I also had the had the 24" extension wand 360 degree spray hose which was way better and spraying but still was not ideal. Am I supposed to use the red straw with the cans to get a better spray application? I found it to be difficult as well but of course everything in life is relative.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I did this with the red straw with 2 out of 3 cans ordered from amazon on stock jkur when I first got it. Grab a piece of cardboard and slide it around when you work on your back. I basically did it in 4 quadrants at each weel, being at stock height. About to re-apply now that we went through winter, gonna spray off the undercarriage as best I can and use a heat protectant black rustolium for the muffler and related items. Probably will grab a wire burst to anything that picked up rust, and soak it down with 2 more cans. Do all this in some grass this stuff is messy and i didn't want to mess up the concrete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts