Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just did some research on fluid flushes and it is not cheap! The one you need a machine for is the radiator flush but trans, steering and diffs an be done without??? If so does anyone know how? Would like to do those on my own but have no clue where to start. So is it something that I should try or no? Could any of you shed some light or shoot me a link???

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You don't need a machine for the radiator.

- You can but a kit that splices into the heater hose and connects to a garden hose.

- Disconnect hoses and shove a garden hose in.

Differentials, you take the cover off to drain everything

Psssst...google and youtube are your friend where to start.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what to type in for the search of the garden hose thingy?

And what about steering and trans?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try "using Prestone flush kit" All the one's I ever bought hanging on the wall of the hardware store auto section are Prestone branded anyway.

The auto tranny flush is done through the tranny cooler lines to the radiator, but I never done it myself (yet) so I can't give any details. Knowing this much might help you find info on it though.
I just do the periodic drain and transmission fill as per the owner's manual maintenance section, new filter if applicable. The vehicles with automatics I've owned only specified this service. I know it only gets some of the old fluid out, but if this maintenance is kept up on, and has been, I suppose they factor that in to the recommended service intervals

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Father in law and I are going to do rad, steering, trans and diff flush on Sunday. What oils/fluids are recommended for a 4.0L I6 '02 Sahara? I would like to put the best in since I am saving the $ on labor. Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And where is the best place to get then in terms of price and availability?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
kfdjason7620 said:
ATF+4 for the tranny and I can tell you how to flush the torque converter
Hows that

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to mention ... 5 spd

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oh just a drain and fill then? Easy peasy. I like Valvoline gear lube and Zerex makes a good...I think it's a HOAT type? G0-5... that was listed on this forum as Jeep compatible. That's what I used.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh just a drain and fill then? Easy peasy. I like Valvoline gear lube and Zerex makes a good...I think it's a HOAT type? G0-5... that was listed on this forum as Jeep compatible. That's what I used.
For the Gear Box - make sure you can get the fill plug out first...before you take out the drain plug.

I use tygon tubing (spelling?) and a small hose clamp: Cut the tip off your gear box fluid Quart. Attach tubing and hose clamp. Makes it allot easier.

I do not want to start a debate regarding what fluid to use in the gear box. There are some other threads regarding that.

Let us know if you need any more help pal!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great idea! I was going to buy the pump, this should save me a couple more $'s!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts