Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
i am fluent in kryptonian
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a fluid leak from a hose that goes up my gas pipe. i believe its the differential breather tube maybe?

anyway all of a sudden i notice on the ground underneath the gas nozzle. do i need to cap the hose or is it coming out because my differential is over filled. ill add pics shortly.

also i did change my diff cover/fluid a couple months ago but just now notice a leaking. thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
If its the black rubber hose that runs up into the frame by the gas tank opening, look to the left of the differential. On top of the axle there is a small box about 3/4" tall and 2"long, and on top is a push on fitting for that hose, with a barb. I think this is part of the brake line assembly, as the box it connects too branches to both brake drums.

Had it disconnect the other day when the shop put new tires on, with my lift its pushed the axle down far enough to pop the hose off. I knew the hose was disconnected because the entire back end of the Jeep was covered in fluid.

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just checked the box and everything is tightly secured an no leaks from it. the leak seems to be coming from the hose that goes up the gas pipe towards the gas cap.

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are pictures of the hoses going up the fuel pipe

Attachments

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's where the fluid comes out at the rear driver side

Attachments

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It's the breather for the axle, I get it quite a bit sometimes, the diff fluid can and will come out of the breather tube.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is your axle breather tube. The tube itself is like a hollow bolt that holds the brake junction box onto the axle. I would check to see if your over full in the diff.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Normally it is very easy to tell if it is differential fluid - it smells terrible. If you are not familiar with the smell of differential fluid you can unscrew the fill plug on the differential and stick your finger in there. While you are at it you might as well make sure that some foreign liquid like water did not make its way into your differential by inspecting the colour of the fluid.

Once you've established what the fluid is it should be easier to determine the source and reason for the leak.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Update. I just changed the fluid and the old fluid was black and I mean black. The fluid comming from the breather was relatively clear via comparison. Any takers?

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
What was in the diff didn't smell too bad but it had no viscosity left to it. Engine oil looked thicker. It was all black. What's comming out of the breather seems a bit clearer but does have a clutch fluid smell.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts