Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please give me a list of stuff I'll need to buy to change my tails over.....I know #1 is the lights.

·
Registered
268 Posts
4 1/2 inch hole saw, shouldnt need wire i just cut the plugs off the stock lights and put them on the new ones, not sure what your doing for your plate light and rev lights.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also - if you want to stay legal, and/or safe you will probably want some LED side marker lights as well. The thing that people sometimes forget when doing the swap is that the stock light assembly performs quite a few functions in one neat package:

Stop
Turn
Running
Side Marker
Tag
Reverse

IF you want to have those same functions in your new LED set-up, you need to account for all of those functions.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of mine, but there's a fair amount of work to get back to the original functionality.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stanton Tucker said:
Not a must. But I would recommend a license plate relocation bracket or it might rub
I kinna like where the stock tag bracket is......yours was in the way on the "before" pic?

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
giles45shop said:
Also - if you want to stay legal, and/or safe you will probably want some LED side marker lights as well. The thing that people sometimes forget when doing the swap is that the stock light assembly performs quite a few functions in one neat package:

Stop
Turn
Running
Side Marker
Tag
Reverse

IF you want to have those same functions in your new LED set-up, you need to account for all of those functions.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of mine, but there's a fair amount of work to get back to the original functionality.
You have flushies? Got a pic?

·
Registered
268 Posts
has anyone that has done flush mounts in the back put side marker lights? i know i didn't and i see about 4-5 police a night with working 3rd shift and never been stopped for it

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Tag plate lights, and reverse lights are a must. I havent had any issues with side markers with mine yet. I did get some motorcycle plate LED lights that work pretty well. The oval lights I have are stop, tail, turn, and reverse lights all in 1. the other small lights are just stop, tail, and turn. Also you can modify your flasher relay, takes about 5 min and you save $15 for the new relay. Check my signature, the how to is in my build thread.

Day:

Night: (old pic with fog light LED shining on plate)

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input.....imma shop this week, and prolly tackle that next weekend. I love that there's SO much to do to personalize a jeep.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LilYeller said:
Tag plate lights, and reverse lights are a must. I havent had any issues with side markers with mine yet. I did get some motorcycle plate LED lights that work pretty well. The oval lights I have are stop, tail, turn, and reverse lights all in 1. the other small lights are just stop, tail, and turn. Also you can modify your flasher relay, takes about 5 min and you save $15 for the new relay. Check my signature, the how to is in my build thread.

Day:

Night: (old pic with fog light LED shining on plate)
I'm kinna diggin on the angry eyes look.....good job.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dewstr1 said:
I kinna like where the stock tag bracket is......yours was in the way on the "before" pic?
Yes you might not notice it from the picture. But it was pressed up against it. And I even cut my holes as high as possible

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here ya go, I used LED reverse lights and just relocated the license plate lower and I still had room for a license plate light above it..

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought my lights.....now, the hard part it seems, is finding someone who has a 4.5" hole saw. Those things ain't cheap!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bought my lights.....now, the hard part it seems, is finding someone who has a 4.5" hole saw. Those things ain't cheap!
same problem im running into . . . might see if i can rent one. . dont wanna shell out 60$ for two holes and really dont trust myself with a dremmel lol

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On my 99 TJ, is it a guarantee that I'll néed that fuse/switch, or should I install them and see if they flash fast?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts