Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old TJ heater core is not pumping out too much heat nowadays. Anyone have any tips for flushing the core??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Johnrmclean said:
The old TJ heater core is not pumping out too much heat nowadays. Anyone have any tips for flushing the core??
Take both of your heater core hoses of and run clean water through it that's about all you can do, but that may not be the problem. It could be your thermostat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be but temp gauge is reading 210 ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Heater Core Flush DIY w/ photos - JeepForum.com

I wouldn't do the CLR flush like someone discussed in the thread. I would buy the prestone heater core flush kit.
Thanks for the link. I did mine today because the heat was just barely warm. I used plain water from the hose, and alot of brown junk came out. I can't beleive the difference in heat !!!!:dance: It will actually roast you now. Just what I needed before it got too cold.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flushed mine today too, just with clear hose water .....now Its blowing about 140 degree warm air..awesome....also replaced the blower resistor so it actually blows on all speeds too ... here is a pic of how I set up the flush to keep things from getting very messy..easy and only took a few minutes..

one heater hose connected to the garden hose and the other one to a hose that drains to a pail or container ..

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
flushed mine today too, just with clear hose water .....now Its blowing about 140 degree warm air..awesome....also replaced the blower resistor so it actually blows on all speeds too ... here is a pic of how I set up the flush to keep things from getting very messy..easy and only took a few minutes..

one heater hose connected to the garden hose and the other one to a hose that drains to a pail or container ..
Which hose is the intake and which is the outtake? I'm just trying to figure out which direction I want the water to flow. Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I did it both ways too .. only takes a minute or so to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Flush it both ways till it runs clear
I did mine again Sunday. After I flushed both ways, I used compressed air, followed by flushing again. I got lots more gunk out of it. I repeated the process until there was no more gunk. I probably flushed 6 or 8 times total.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did mine again Sunday. After I flushed both ways, I used compressed air, followed by flushing again. I got lots more gunk out of it. I repeated the process until there was no more gunk. I probably flushed 6 or 8 times total.
wow..had to be in bad shape ..... so was it worth it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great idea!

I know this is old, but still extremely helpful!

Thanks for posting the pic... it makes things much easier to understand .. the setup with hoses seems perfect!

One more Jeep weekend project!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts