Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i noticed today that my coolant was brown and probrably never been replaced. Got to love P.O's. But i went down to the Auto store and bought a thing called Peak Performance radiator super cleaner and flush. I asked the workers how to use this and they told me to just follow the directions and not stray from it. Im not the most car/jeep literate person so while reading the directions it threw in words like Drain Cock and Cooling system. and is telling me to drain all my coolant and then fill it up with this and water. I have no idea what any of this really means to be honest and I was hoping someone could explain to me that may have used this before how this works and how to go about it. All this is pretty much over my head.:nonono: Im also worried because I see im supposed to ad water and this says not to let it cool below 32 though it might hit below 32 tomorrow, but im scared to drive the old dingy around to much knowing im cooling my jeep with rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
So i noticed today that my coolant was brown and probrably never been replaced. Got to love P.O's. But i went down to the Auto store and bought a thing called Peak Performance radiator super cleaner and flush. I asked the workers how to use this and they told me to just follow the directions and not stray from it.
Yup, dont stray from the instructions. :)

Im not the most car/jeep literate person so while reading the directions it threw in words like Drain Cock and Cooling system. and is telling me to drain all my coolant and then fill it up with this and water. I have no idea what any of this really means to be honest and I was hoping someone could explain to me that may have used this before how this works and how to go about it.
No problem, and you have the basic idea. This is what I do, and keep in mind this is my opinion.

While the engine is cool/cold, remove the rad cap, and open the petcock at the bottom of the radiator. Drain the fluid for a while into a large bucket, one that can hold 3 or more gallons but can fit under your vehicle. If the petcock is in a position where the fluid drains on your steering linkage, get something to change it. Ive used a chunk of cardboard, some piece of rain gutter, ply wood, whatever that would divert the fluid into the bucket and make the least amount of mess. I then close the petcock, and refill with water, run it for a bit, let it cool and drain again. I do this until the water is no longer brown, so it could take a few drains to get to that point. I would then follow the directions on the flush. BTW, dont forget to drain the overflow bottle out too, one way the I like is to get a long hose that fits into the bottle, and long enough to extend down to the ground. push as much of the hose as possible into the bottle, put my thumb or finger over the end to seal it (holding really good) then quickly pull out the end down to whatever it will drain into then release my thumb... its a good way to siphon without having to suck on the end of the tube with your mouth and accidentally swallow any.

Another opinion, drain it, disconnect the hoses, remove the thermostat, flush the motor with a garden hose, and replace the radiator and heater core. Chances are if its been neglected like that till it turns brown, then the rest is probably bad too.

All this is pretty much over my head.:nonono: Im also worried because I see im supposed to ad water and this says not to let it cool below 32 though it might hit below 32 tomorrow, but im scared to drive the old dingy around to much knowing im cooling my jeep with rust.
If you are not over heating, and your heating system is working fine, then dont worry; I would not do it in the cold either and would only do it in a shop or wait till summer. You really are not going to do any more damage if you wait.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Camarozz! I think i might wait till this friday and have a shop do it, im not to confortable yet doing this so im worried id mess something up. Im getting a oil change then and ill ask how much theyd charge. I dont believe im over heating, My thermostat gauge isnt working, itll move to 100 degrees when i start the jeep but thats all it'll do, i can figure out how to get it running so im just assuming it's a bad connection or something.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
No prob.

Only thing about a shop, if anything like ours around here, it would be about an $80/hr shop rate plus parts. In my mind to have it done right, you need to spend the time; otherwise I suspect they will drain, flush and refill.

I would bet the repair bill that in a very short time it will be brown again. It took 4 separate flushes, and a new radiator, to get mine looking normal again; and Im still crossing my fingers hoping it wont turn brown anytime soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts