Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will be doing this in a few days. I am having issues with disappearing coolant. This is the most thorough instructions I have seen after searching the net for over a week. Thank you sir for sharing...

I am a newbie and I have one question? I do not know where the metal line to the thermostat is located as described on step 13. Would you please point it by showing me a photo?

13. Connect plastic tubing, reverse flush engine block through metal line to thermostat. Then blow air through it.

Thanks a lot... this is an awesome help!

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I will be doing this in a few days. I am having issues with disappearing coolant. This is the most thorough instructions I have seen after searching the net for over a week. Thank you sir for sharing...

I am a newbie and I have one question? I do not know where the metal line to the thermostat is located as described on step 13. Would you please point it by showing me a photo?

13. Connect plastic tubing, reverse flush engine block through metal line to thermostat. Then blow air through it.

Thanks a lot... this is an awesome help!
You have a 3.6, correct? That's the line on the right in this picture, with the red arrow. It actually comes from the front of the engine block near the thermostat.

When the engine is running, some hot coolant comes up that line to go the the heater inside the cabin, regardless of whether the thermostat is open or closed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a question, you mentioned a more better cleaning with distilled water..not sure exactly what or how you would do this from your post. I am trying to get a better understanding as I don't really know what to do. I was wondering instead of using a water hose to flush out the system, can I pour distilled water in the heater core as you suggested by way of using a funnel perhaps. Doing this with distilled water in place of the water hose method. Is this what you were referring to as in getting a better cleaning? How many gallons do you think it would take, I have 5 gallons now. I was reading something about this and another guy mentioned that it would take about 4 to 5 gallons using the distilled water. If I use the garden hose as you suggested then pour distilled water in there afterwards I am wondering how I would be able to tell what water i have in there lol. Sorry for the dumb questions but I am trying to get this all cleared up before I start. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have a question, you mentioned a more better cleaning with distilled water..not sure exactly what or how you would do this from your post. I am trying to get a better understanding as I don't really know what to do. I was wondering instead of using a water hose to flush out the system, can I pour distilled water in the heater core as you suggested by way of using a funnel perhaps. Doing this with distilled water in place of the water hose method. Is this what you were referring to as in getting a better cleaning? How many gallons do you think it would take, I have 5 gallons now. I was reading something about this and another guy mentioned that it would take about 4 to 5 gallons using the distilled water. If I use the garden hose as you suggested then pour distilled water in there afterwards I am wondering how I would be able to tell what water i have in there lol. Sorry for the dumb questions but I am trying to get this all cleared up before I start. Thank you
What I did was refill the whole system with distilled water, drove the Jeep for 20 minutes, then after cooling drained and filled again. The goal was to remove any trace of old coolant since I wasn't sure what kind was in there.

As for flushing of the heater core, I reversed flushed mine with a water hose for a few minutes and that didn't really solve the problem. I'll have to do it again for longer before next winter. Some guy on the internet (can't remember if on this forum or another) hooked up an aquarium pump and reversed flushed the core for a day or two!

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks, what problem did you have with the heater core?
Clogged up. No heat on the driver's side. Very common problem.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts