Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Recently pulled the trigger on a 2016 unlimited sport w soft top. I am having so much fun especially with the unseasonably warm weather here right now and between the rain the top is down and music is loud. Wife says it is safer than a Harley for mid life crisis. Having fun. Long time fly fisherman. Can't wait to take it to western NC, eastern TN and N Ga and around SMNP with a kid or dog along with me.

First mod (not really a mod ...): Am going to add tow hitch for hauingl drift boat.

Next mod: I need some help. Thinking of a minor lift and bigger tires. Came with stock 17 x 7.5 aluminum wheels with p255/75R17 owl on/off road tires (31 in I think)

I would like to get to some of the really off the beaten track places to find "blue lines" to fish in the tri state area and know I can get in and out. Would. 2.5 lift and 33 tires do the trick. Or more lift and 35s? Will not be daily driver (long Atlanta traffic commute) but more of evening and weekend vehicle.

Other than wheels/tires and suggested mods with fly fishing trips to the backcountry planned? Rod holder set ups? Lights? Ideas for dog owners (chocolate lab and golden)

Welcome any ideas. Can't wait to customize and get out there with some family/friends/canines to chase some brookies and more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run the beach in Texas and fly fish in the surf - so I need quick access to fly rods. I have magnetic fly rod holders I used on my F150 (attach on the hood and roof), but there's not enough metal above the JK windshield to attach them securely. Any ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. I like mmohorovich's design. I think I'll go that way.

The Titan Rod Vault are 10.5 ft - I use 11ft and 14 ft two-handed rods in the surf.

I trust my magnetic rod holders - not sure I would trust the suction cups on the beach with the salt and sand.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rods up out of the way...

Through Spring, Summer & Fall I chase trout on the AuSable River system in northern Michigan..I've found my stock Jeep Sahara Unlimited to be fine for the sandy road driving I do getting to my fave fishing spots..the only change I envision is to go to slightly more aggressive A/T tires when the originals wear out..

I used to let the fly rods bounce around in the back but last year purchased a Simms rod carrier which I hang from the roll bars -- a great way to protect two rods but always have them in the Jeep..and they'd be up above the dogs for the most part.

You do have to break the rods down to two pieces but I leave them strung up and just pull apart the four-piece rods in the middle and run them into the case. With the reel on it's easy to throw it back together after putting on the waders..

Commo

Into trout fishing? Check out my web site & videos on trout research and stream restoration at AuSable Trout.com!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Through Spring, Summer & Fall I chase trout on the AuSable River system in northern Michigan..I've found my stock Jeep Sahara Unlimited to be fine for the sandy road driving I do getting to my fave fishing spots..the only change I envision is to go to slightly more aggressive A/T tires when the originals wear out..

I used to let the fly rods bounce around in the back but last year purchased a Simms rod carrier which I hang from the roll bars -- a great way to protect two rods but always have them in the Jeep..and they'd be up above the dogs for the most part.

You do have to break the rods down to two pieces but I leave them strung up and just pull apart the four-piece rods in the middle and run them into the case. With the reel on it's easy to throw it back together after putting on the waders..

Commo

Into trout fishing? Check out my web site & videos on trout research and stream restoration at AuSable Trout.com!

Love this setup--how long is the carrier? Wondering if it might work for my steelhead rods as well as my trout rods (broken down in half of course...).

I've been wanting to come out to Michigan to explore the water for a while now. One of these days I'll get out there!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Simms calls it 57" x 6", for two-piece 9-foot rods...

Headwaters Double Rod Tube - 2PC

I just bought some webbing and buckles to hang it from the roll bars. It comes to a few inches behind the driver's seat.

Note that putting up the seat behind the driver involves fiddling a bit with the pop-up headrest as it needs to stay bent a little when it hits the rod carrier..and someone riding right behind the driver needs to shift his noggin a bit to accommodate the carrier...

C'mon out and fish Michigan!

Commo

·
Registered
14 Posts
So it would work fine for my trout rods, but I'd still be out of luck with the steelhead rods. Would also probably work nicely for air travel (I have a May Colorado trip on the calendar right now). Thanks for the idea!!

I keep hearing great things about Steelhead (and trout) in Michigan, so it's inevitable that me and my fishing buddy will start making trips out there to explore and start learning some new water.

Simms calls it 57" x 6", for two-piece 9-foot rods...

Headwaters Double Rod Tube - 2PC

I just bought some webbing and buckles to hang it from the roll bars. It comes to a few inches behind the driver's seat.

Note that putting up the seat behind the driver involves fiddling a bit with the pop-up headrest as it needs to stay bent a little when it hits the rod carrier..and someone riding right behind the driver needs to shift his noggin a bit to accommodate the carrier...

C'mon out and fish Michigan!

Commo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Simms makes the identical carrier but shorter for 4-piece rods; would work better for air travel but I wouldn't want to break my rods down to four pieces every time for day-to-day use in the Jeep.

Hit me up for words of wisdom if you're doing the Michigan trip...

...and, uh, Go Wings!

Commo

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice thread big time fly fisherman here....this post..mentioned above..

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/fly-rod-holder-77168.html

Is the best fly mod that I have seen for Jeeps and I have a question for anyone that has attempted it....what kind of bracket do you use to connect the 3 rod holder to the jeep..i know it's metal but what is it? I want to do this mod to my jeep come spring to head down to PINS down south corpus for some red and jack fishing.

OP you should try this one tho it's only for crusing up and down an area where you need to access your flyrods quickly I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Commo - I love fishing the Au Sable and Manistee Rivers. I spent a summer on a project in Battlecreek and made several trips to these rivers. It's in my bucket list to fish them again.

Jeepster - we should hook up. I'm rigging my Wrangler for PINS and hope to make several trips this year. I'm looking at the Grenadeacorp storage box to hold 3 and 4 piece rods and reels. But my biggest frustration has been the rod holder. What year Wrangler do you have? Maybe we can come up with a good sturdy design that can handle PINS and the salt.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Fly rod tube friendly 2 Door.

My 2 Door has a perfect spot for my fly rod tube(s). A little cradled spot that my two handed fly rod tubes fit into perfectly, when the seat is tumbled forward. It's like it was custom made to hold fly rod tubes,and lots of room aft of the rod tube(s) for gear. Once placed in this spot they won't move around, holding them secure while traveling. PERFECT!!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Commo - I love fishing the Au Sable and Manistee Rivers. I spent a summer on a project in Battlecreek and made several trips to these rivers. It's in my bucket list to fish them again.

Jeepster - we should hook up. I'm rigging my Wrangler for PINS and hope to make several trips this year. I'm looking at the Grenadeacorp storage box to hold 3 and 4 piece rods and reels. But my biggest frustration has been the rod holder. What year Wrangler do you have? Maybe we can come up with a good sturdy design that can handle PINS and the salt.
I have a 2014 JKU with 35's I am always down at PINS went 10 times last year one of those trips was a 4 day stay at Big Shell. If you want to come with us that trip is always at the end of June or late August. Here is a site that gives you updated fishing reports and livecam any day any time. Padre Island National Seashore Report

Gotta check out those tides sometimes the water hits the dunes which would be bad for the JK. Sure let me know first trip won't be until Spring Break or near there (easter maybe)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fish WNC and E.TN blue lines with some regularity. In fact, I will be blue lining this weekend. The forest roads for access to most trail heads are pretty tame. (I have not found one I can't reach with my Durango).

My first fly fish mod for the Wrangler - the thing I couldn't live without - would be better security. Gotta have a trunk space you can lock. (Unfortunately, there have been plenty of thefts in the last few years. Some have occurred in the parking lots to the E.TN tail waters) So then security is item 1. Specialized off road capabilities - at least for fly fishing in the area - are really just for fun.

We have 33s and spacers on our Wrangler - more than enough for the forest service roads.

Have fun and tight lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AMCDeac - have you looked at the security box from Greanadeacorp - Jeep Jk Concealed Storage - Grenadeacorp - Kent, Wa. Its 45 in X 15 in X 5 in and should hold several fly rods and reels. Its pretty expensive at $645, but that's less than a good saltwater 9wt. - so I think its worth the investment. I'm hoping to get one in a couple of weeks.

Jeepster - Would love to hook up for a trip to PINS. The Texas Flyfisher have an annual PINS trip in the fall but I would like to do a several day trip in the early summer if possible. I like to go down to the Port Mansfield jetties and throw to the tarpon if conditions are good. I also pull my JumpingJack trailer down there without any problems - so I have room to sleep 4 to 6. What I haven't done but would love to try is to go over Yarborough Pass with the kayaks on the JumpingJack and fish the flats across from Baffin Bay on the western shore of PINS. Have you ever tried this before? Also, we are planning to participate in the PINS Beach Cleanup on Feb. 27. I'm planning to scout out Yarborough Pass then. Will you be there?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts