Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife was driving home the other day and a foam gasket? tube? seal? popped out from between the windshield and windshield frame and started flopping around.

She pulled over and removed it. It looks like some sort of seal or something that goes between the glass and the windshield frame. I can't find it on any diagrams or part break downs. I'm assuming this is some sort of vibration dampening thing because it's not very waterproof looking and it's not sticky.

Anyone know where I can find this thing to replace it or know what I'm talking about. After driving it around for 20-30 minutes there doesn't appear to be any leaking or vibration but I'm sure it's there for a reason.

I may have the windshield replaced as it has a few small chips in it but I'd rather not take the hit on that if this is a $5 part.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How big was this tube? Diameter and length?
Has the windshield ever been replaced? Are you the original owner?

If it's about 1/4" diameter, and not very long, it's possible it was used to set the gap if a replacement windshield was installed. You want to press the windshield into the body and get the adhesive to wet out between the glass and the body but you don't want to press too much and squeeze the adhesive down to nothing.

If it's 1/4" and longer, the same applies but perhaps also to prevent the amount of adhesive squeezing towards the interior.

My 2 pennies.

M.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the original owner, 1/4" sounds right.

It's about the length of the top portion and one side if that makes sense.

Windshield looks to be OEM but that could just mean it was replaced with an OEM unit at some point.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Not the original owner, 1/4" sounds right.

It's about the length of the top portion and one side if that makes sense.

Windshield looks to be OEM but that could just mean it was replaced with an OEM unit at some point.
Whatever it is, it isn't stock. The JK/U window glass is frame-less. If the windshield isn't leaking, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Haven't ever seen any sort of foam tube around the windshield. But I did see a hook type clip on one of the new jeeps at the dealers lot. I even pointed it to the salesman.. They didn't have a clue as to what these where for. I suspected it was something left by the factory, by mistake as a means to line up the windshield upon installation and just never removed them afterward.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably a replacement windshield and the foam gasket was filling the void. I had this issue on my Jeep, and the gap was creating a whistle. The window was not pushed up close enough to the frame. I went to Menards and got a tube of roofing sealant and sealed it up that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Probably a replacement windshield and the foam gasket was filling the void. I had this issue on my Jeep, and the gap was creating a whistle. The window was not pushed up close enough to the frame. I went to Menards and got a tube of roofing sealant and sealed it up that way.
This ^^^

i have a small rubber tube across the top of mine to eliminate a whistle after a windshield replacement.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Haven't ever seen any sort of foam tube around the windshield. But I did see a hook type clip on one of the new jeeps at the dealers lot. I even pointed it to the salesman.. They didn't have a clue as to what these where for. I suspected it was something left by the factory, by mistake as a means to line up the windshield upon installation and just never removed them afterward.
Those are spacers. They are what Safelite and the others are supposed to use when mounting glass to avoid whistle / place the glass properly. I had a windshield replaced without them and it whistled. It was redone with the spacers and had no problem.

Per my dealer, they all come from the factory with those. They are supposed to be removed in prep, but often make it onto the lot.

Reactions: JeepOverland
1 - 9 of 9 Posts