Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse me for not searching for the answer first... I am curious if it would be possible to swap out the fog lamps for some KC lights. The fog lamps serve no purpose for me and I would like to have some spot lights up there instead. Would that be possible? Wattage would probably be the first question. Anybody know what the stock fog lamps wattage are? I guess if my KC lights didnt draw much more power it would be ok.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Stocks are 55W.

if you are replacing with 55W, you're fine. If you are going up in wattage, you'll want heavier gauged wire.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hey BSing. Just a quick note. This forum doesn't operate like the others do. If you want to do a search and look for an answer, that's great. It's a useful tool to be abe to do that.

However, it is not required at this forum and we encourage any and all questions. Each time something is discussed we all learn and benefit from each members input.

Some of the other forums discourage questions that have been answered before, but that is not our policy. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense to discourage questions on your forum.

Please, feel free to ask away!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks amerijeep, I know in some forums members will just answer with a "use the search". It can be discouraging to the new guys.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yeah, I know. The platform of building this forum was basically due to how unhospitable other forums can be. I used to hang out a bit at JU and JF, but I was tired of the crap.

That last time I was ever at jeeps unlimited, someone asked a question and they were ridiculed for not looking it up. I logged out on the spot and never went back. I found this forum the same day. This forum was 5 days old then. I talked to Kyle Henderson (admin) and he said that this forum would never take that approach.

Been here ever since. Been on the staff almost since that time. It's a great place to be.

·
Registered
337 Posts
WOW - I love that answer. I visit another site for Broncos and they always bash the noobie with "use the search". Instead of providing a quality answer, they expect everyone to know as much as the experts and if they don't, they had better search.

I'm darn glad to be here and will be trying to search for answers but will ask questions openly.... I appreciate everyone's attitude here and will hopefully advance my noob/inexperience knowledge of Jeeps.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I know I'm guilty of hi-jacking, but I want you guys to know that we are glad to have yall here, too. WF is grateful to it's members.

Yall got me to thinkin about the old days on this forum. There was only a few of us, 1BLKJP, daddyjeep, 4jeepn, jeeperman, myself and a handful of others. We used to ask questions just to talk to someone. Used to be, there would only be about 20 new posts a day. Now there is 20 new posts when I get back from getting something to drink.

The forum owes everything to the members.

Ok. I'm through being nostalgic.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I responded to his question because I knew the answer. But if I knew there was a previous thread about it, I'd also suggest the search and mention that thread if it had other information I knew was good, but couldn't remember the details.

There's a respectful way and a non-respectful way to suggest searching.

To use this question as an example...

#1: 55w is the max your stock wiring can handle. I know there is a thread on here somewhere that talks about doing your own fog lamp wiring and it works independently of the low or high beams. If you search for it, I'm sure you will get some good information, but I can't remember what all the part numbers were.

Instead of:

#2: Look for the wiring thread you NOOB! :)

I'd prefer to receive #1 and I try to respond how I'd prefer to be answered.

Guess it is my parents' fault. :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
so when i get a set of hella 500 fog lamps, i just take apart the stocks, use the same wiring, and just plug the 500's up the the factory wires? Stock switch and everything stays? This sounds almost too simple to be true....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If the Hella 500's are 55W, yes, it is that simple. Fog lamp wiring isn't complicated when you break it down.

Positive wire from each light to relay.
Negative wire to ground for each light, relay, and switch.
Postive between battery and relay.
Wire between relay and switch to activate the relay and send power from battery to lights.

My SE didn't come with any fog wiring, so when I added my first IPF's I used their harness. I got a set of Mopar fogs free from a friend, so I moved them to the IPF wiring (since I knew it could handle the 110W IPF lights I was using, I knew the OEM fogs were okay with that wiring and they were going in the IPF's old location).

I still had to wire up the IPF's. I coulda bought another harness, but I wanted a clean install, and ran my own wiring so I could cut to length each piece.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i was at the store to get some fuses and they happen to have the hella 500's (driving lights, not fog lights)...so I figured why I was there...

Now this leads me to my next question...is there a simple way to make the lights operate on the fog light switch only. By this I mean, with stock wiring, the fog lamps wont work when you put your brights on. That sucks. I guess is would be simple just to rewire them using that switch still. But is there something simple to do to eliminate that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts