Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Can anyone chime in on fog light effectiveness when they're on a lifted jeep? If I mount them on top of my bumper, they will be almost 2.5' off the ground which might bounce light off the fog. I haven't bought the lights yet, as I'm trying to figure out the best mounting solution. thanks!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
They pivot on the mounts to adjust them to the height you want for the beams.

Attachments

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I haven't had any issue with mine. I've got them aimed a little lower than the headlights and they fill in quite nicely, and also light up the roadway to either side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify, I want to use these lights as actual fog lights, but my understanding is that fog sits about two feet above the ground. Ideally you want the lights below the fog, but I can't do that unless I mount them under the bumper, which means they will be annihilated on trails :) That's my reason for asking if they are still effective in fog on lifted jeeps since at that height the lights are shining into the fog as opposed to underneath it.

Ironhead Jed - I'm looking at getting amber LED lights, probably KC. They seem to work well in the videos I've seen.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I've got mine mounted on top of the bumper, with nearly 5" of lift. No problem lighting up the street. Yes, you can still see the fog, but it's not bad. Mine are white, and LED. Yellow would likely work better, but the white works out fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
i've got white incandescents mounted ~5.5" over OEM and they work great. the wife's got seward LED flood pods mounted at ~4.5", I like them as running lights but not as fogs, granted they were not designed to be fogs. probably too high powered for the application.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lower lights are not going to go under the fog. In most cases, fog goes all the way to the ground. What you want to do is get the lights lower to the ground respective to your sight line and still be high enough that you don't rip them off while off-road. Like was said earlier, if you can mount them somewhere below your regular head lights, that will help work to not reflect as much light from the fog back to your eyes, the lower the better (within reason). With that in mind, bumpers with lights built directly inside would get you the best off-set and still allow unencumbered off-roading ability. Mounting on top of the bumper would be the next best thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thanks. My KC G4 lights are on their way, so I'll report back on the results at some point :) I'll try mounting them on top of my bumper first

1 - 11 of 11 Posts