Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a used JK front bumper equipped with the stock fogs. I swapped my non-fog bumper with the fog bumper due to a fender bender, but haven't gotten around to wiring up the new lights.

I bought the mopar fog lamp kit (K6860678, I think?) and tried to install it today. I got as far as routing the wiring harness to the fogs but couldn't figure out how to get the plugs to get to the lights. The longer plug gets to the far light easily, but the short plug is about a foot short no matter how you route it.

I'm at a bit of a loss here, can anyone show me the route their bumper embedded fog light harness takes? Or if I got the wrong kit? Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mopar part #82211870 from quadratec for this, the install was going smoothly until I was actually putting the harness in. The connections to the two lights are about 6 feet apart, and the two connections for the power supply and passenger side fog light are about 3 feet.

I thought it was a manufacturing error and quadratec sent me another kit, but this one is the same way! I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to make 3 feet of wire run 5 feet...

Anyone else have an experience like this or have any ideas or solutions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem but I have a JK and the fog lights were close together in the stock bumper. When I upgraded my bumper to the Mopar 10x bumper the fog lights were farther apart and I had to add about a 18" of wire to each fog to make it work. So is it possible the kit you have is for a stock bumper and your installing it on a wider bumper?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys, the bumper I installed is a normal stock bumper, not the 10 year, so I wasn't expecting this much hassle.

I guess the new question is, is it possible for Mopar to fubar two kits, and is my luck that bad that I ended up with both of them? Or is there something I'm missing about the install?

Quadratec's solution was to send me another kit, Mopar/dealership recommended that I go to the local 4wd shop and have them make me a harness. Am I crazy for thinking that someone in FCA knows the correct way this harness is supposed to be set up, and can tell me whether or not mine is a mistake?!?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree this does not make sense. I do not believe that 2 kits would be screwed up but then again anything is possible. Can you confirm that this is the kit and install instructions you are using.
https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/110340.pdf
Then look at page 7 where it shows the cable layer out in the bumper. Now yours it like this and your problem is the wire length between those two connectors is only 3 feet and needs to be about 5? That does not sound right to me because the stock bumper the fog's are only 2' apart.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the right kit, and I agree with you; the stock fogs are only two feet apart on the bumper.

If you imagine the harness is a "Y" with a long stem on the bottom, I believe it SHOULD be so that the fog connections are on the two branches at the top, with the power supply connection at the bottom.

What I have is a Fog connection on the bottom and one on the top, with the power supply connection the other top branch.

Doesn't seem right to me...and I have yet to find anyone that can confirm that it is or isn't right...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I believe it is correct you run the cable down the left side of the radiator and into the bumper the shorter of the 2 ends for the fog lights should plug into the fog on the left side (passenger side) the other should run accross the bumper to the other light. The cable is not a perfect y cable

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right, it's not a perfect Y, but even taking the shortest distance between two points, the harness doesn't reach the closest fog. It has no problem reaching the far one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very tough without seeing it. Is it possible the routing from the box to the 1st fog is wrong? Maybe your loosing wire in the routing that's all I could think or like your saying the cable is wrong. It looks like a pretty complete kit so it's strange the wire harness would be wrong. Usually they give extra wire so things can be routed néatly. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries, I appreciate the troubleshooting help, I'll try to take a picture today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So here's the pictures of the harness I have, the first picture is the whole thing laid out. The second one shows the two fog connections. The third one shows the passenger side fog connection and the power supply connection.

20170101_131754.jpg 20170101_131749.jpg 20170101_131740.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
Without seeing it I hand, to me it looks like they have the connectors on wrong. Looking at your 1st photo (top one) going from left to right the 1st 2 connectors should be for the loghts and the 3rd should in into to the box. If it were like that it would work right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts