Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Sport model.
May be a repost, but I am a bit turned around. I have the wiring for the toggle switch on the center console (headlights are a plunger). I have the blue and white cable going to the connector in the engine bay. I do not have a relay in the PDC. I do not have the relays behind the glove box. I want to hook my 55watt KC Apollos up to the switch (I bought a stock switch for center console). I have looked at wiring diagrams and cannot track down where a relay should be or if in need to install a relay myself. I have read through most of the forum, and always seem to be missing one piece of information

·
Registered
32 Posts
Install your own relay. I placed mine next to the ECM, using one of the ECM mounting bolts. You will need to run a wire through the firewall to initiate the relay; I used the small grommet in the center. The rest of the OEM wiring can be re-used.

The fog light switch wiring is as follows on my 2000 TJ Sport:

Pin 1 Orange wire- Switch Illumination (backlighting on switch, activates/dims with dash lights)

Pin 2 Lt Blue Wire- Output to device (in this case to Pin 86 to initiate the relay)

Pin 3 Purple Wire- 12v Input Source (OEM this is hot only when headlight switch is activated, possibly only with low beam. I re-wired an after market switch using the "spare"/unused 12v switched hot wire by the fuse panel behind the glove box. This allows the KC lights to be used when the ignition/acc is in the on position, not dependent on the headlight switch.)

Pin 4 Black wire- Ground for the switch illumination

Hope this helps and good luck!!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep... run all new wiring and a relay.... you don't want to use a factory fog light circuit or your aux lights will only work when lowbeams are on

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just wired the factory fog light switch to my 50' light bar. I used the wiring harness that came with the light bar and just cut off the crappy push button switch. I ended up only replacing the brown wire (load for fogs) with the blue wire from the light bar harness (load to harness relay). Although it works fine, I have a few concerns with this set up and I am hoping someone with a little better knowledge of electrical circuits could assure me.
My light bar is 288 watts. The blue wire I connected is bigger than the brown wire. Is this a safe set up? I attached pictures of the wires and the current circuit diagram (except I have a light bar instead of two fogs)

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
A 12 volt system using 288 watts is going to pull 24 Amps.

So a 20 Amp fuse will not work. Also make sure your wiring / connections are sized correctly as well.

Add up all your power usage and see where you are at and what you can use at the same time.

Battery(ies) and the alternator will be in the formula as well.

(I like LED's as they use less wattage.)

·
Registered
443 Posts
(your wires should have a amp rating marked on them (or packaging))

As a rule you should never reduce wire size as it will cause resistance.

Think of water going through pipes..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts