Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a bumper which does not have spots for my fog lights(no big deal). So what I have is my wiring for te stock fog lights sitting on my bumper doing nothing.
I was wondering if I can simply use that wiring from those fog lights and hook up off road lights to them. Anyone tried this yet?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The stock fog lights are 35watts. You could hook up off road lights but it wouldn't have a good enough power source to do it well. What you can do to make it work perfect is to use a relay. If you use the fog light wiring to power the control on the relay and then the battery would be wired to the relay as well to power the lights

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That actually makes perfect sense to a guy who has been working on aircraft electronics for about 8 years now. I guess I was just hoping the answer was "yes, it'll work" haha.
Thanks though for the wattage info.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Keep in mind the fog light wiring is also Pwm. Controlled by the computer. So there is a little more than just adding a relay. I believe it needs a capacitor with the relay.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
That actually makes perfect sense to a guy who has been working on aircraft electronics for about 8 years now. I guess I was just hoping the answer was "yes, it'll work" haha.
Thanks though for the wattage info.

There are several led lights that are below 35 watts. The only problem I see would be that you lose the high beams when they are on, but you could wire around that if you can get your hands on a wiring diagram:)

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
^ That's what I was thinking. With all the LED lights now, you may not need to run it with a relay, although the lower draw may be less than desirable in some cases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts