Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hopefully your collective Jeep wisdom can shed some light on my current problem. I took the stock fog lights out of my '08 JKU and replaced them with 55W Delta fogs. Instead of running the switch provided I just used the hot wire from one of the factory fogs to turn on the Delta relay (Delta fogs on their own circuit). Well now the new fogs work but the jeep is giving me an ESP Bas light, ABS light and traction control light. I cut a red wire when wiring the fogs and re-soldered that but it didn't solve the error lights. I also connected the hot wire from the other factory fog to the relay hoping it would make a complete circuit and end the dash codes. This also did nothing. I'm relatively mechanically inclined but pretty dense when it comes to circuitry. Do any of you guys have any ideas or have experienced the same problem? I've disconnected the Jeep's battery and am going to reconnect it tomorrow morning on the off chance resetting the computer will help at all. In case it doesn't please let me know what my next course of action should be. Thank you all so much.
Chris

·
Registered
293 Posts
From what I understand you cut existing power wires to your old fogs and attached to your new fogs is this correct? You didn't cut any other wires other than the power to the fogs correct? Keep in mind that all your stock power options including Lights run through your ECM. Ever wonder how you vehicle lets you know by ding or EVIC display your headlights are left on?

Im of the old school when you could cut almost any wire and tap in for power. We cant do that anymore. The ECM knows and allows so much voltage for each item allotted. Adding new fogs that could light up a ball park at night are too much on the system and causing chaos inside the ECM. My guess is you are drawing way more power from that wire than was designed. Just a stab at it. Hopefully a wiring guru can hop on here and give you some better advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's possible, although (and as a wiring rookie I could well be wrong) I think that the stock fog switch only triggers the relay which runs the lights on their own circuit. Some people on another thread said that they were running them this way instead of on the stock circuit because the stock circuit was designed for the stock 45W lights would be shit off by the ECM if the 55W Deltas were wired to it directly. If it is the ECM how would I go about fixing it? Like I said I'll reconnect the battery in the morning and see if that fixes it. If not, hopefully someone else can chime in with another answer

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's possible, although (and as a wiring rookie I could well be wrong) I think that the stock fog switch only triggers the relay which runs the lights on their own circuit. Some people on another thread said that they were running them this way instead of on the stock circuit because the stock circuit was designed for the stock 45W lights would be shit off by the ECM if the 55W Deltas were wired to it directly. If it is the ECM how would I go about fixing it? Like I said I'll reconnect the battery in the morning and see if that fixes it. If not, hopefully someone else can chime in with another answer

I am confused Chris by how you did this. Did you connect the new 55w lights into the old light circuit?

By your explanation im assuming you are getting your power from the old circuit. Or did you run a new switch and circuit?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
He has a separate circuit to power the lights. He's using one of the power wires in the fog circuits to energize the relay for the lights. I would assume the ecu is detecting this load differential and throwing a code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has a separate circuit to power the lights. He's using one of the power wires in the fog circuits to energize the relay for the lights. I would assume the ecu is detecting this load differential and throwing a code.
Yes this is how I am running them, the old circuit controls the relay to activate the new circuit. Do you have any ideas on how to prevent the ECM from throwing a code? Do you think it could could be fixed using a programmer? (Superchips, etc.) I'd prefer not to have to buy one but if that could fix it I'd do it

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yes this is how I am running them, the old circuit controls the relay to activate the new circuit. Do you have any ideas on how to prevent the ECM from throwing a code? Do you think it could could be fixed using a programmer? (Superchips, etc.) I'd prefer not to have to buy one but if that could fix it I'd do it
doubtful that it could be done like that. Kind of one of those deep at Chrysler things. Through its odd since a lot of lights instructions say to use the headlights as a trigger wire. Every aev jeep you see does it that way. What I'm getting at is it seems odd that just that circuit for the fogs is effected. Though perhaps since the fogs require less juice the differential may be more apparent. Another possibility is the relay your kit uses has a higher than normal draw.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Another oddity I just thought about is I have the arb bumper with turn signals. Those are spliced in to the turn signal circuit so they're drawing twice the power originally intended with no ill effects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check for clicking tomorrow but I don't remember hearing any when I installed the lights. There is a noticeable tick when I turn them on and the circuit gets power but no noise after that (until I turn them off). Thanks so much for the help everyone...if you have any more ideas please let me know. This was my first major Jeep mod that wasn't plug and play and I'm somewhat frustrated I caused a code

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I reconnected the battery this morning and the warning lights are still on. Do you guys think a programmer could fix this? Any suggestions would be appreciated at this point, I'm willing to try anything

·
Registered
293 Posts
Try this reset. Disconnecting the battery isn't enough.

Total ECU reset. Brings all settings back to factory.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings. For the next 50 warm-up periods the ECU will re-learn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so I finally got it fixed tonight with some help from my dad. I searched JK-Forum.com and someone was faced with the same problem that I had. It turns out the red wire that I had cut and then reconnected, then cut again actually was for the wheel speed sensors and thus the ABS/TC/etc. The first time I had reconnected it the Jeep was still throwing a code though, so this time I disconnected the battery, re-connected the red ABS wire, then reconnected the battery. Initially I was still getting error codes but after driving the Jeep around for a minute or two they went away! Kind of frustrating looking back and knowing that had I had a wiring diagram to begin with this never would have happened...oh well, we live and learn! The new fogs are a night and day improvement over stock! Everything worked out. Thanks again for all the help you guys! As my build progresses I'm sure I'll be back here for more advice in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts