Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the task of keeping the fog lights on when you turn on your hi beams??

It seems completely counter to the wanting to see better when you turn on your Hi beams that the fog lights go off. not sure why almost every manufacture does this..

any ideas how to make this work.. ??????

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not legal to have both HI beams and fogs on at the same time, in a lot of areas around the US. But maybe that's not an issue for you. I know where I live it is not legal.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
not sure how that can be.. if the high beams are on there is not supposed to be anyone within a certain distance so it would seem to reason that it would not matter if fogs were on at the same time or not..
as well as having driving lights on at the same time, or for that matter extra lights..

curious.. do you know what states that is in or if it is a federal statute

so kind of answered my own question in response to the statement that it is illegal to have both fog and high beams on....
If it is Legal in Cali then I would be else ware as well

Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps
24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

Foglamps
24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

(b) On a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.

(c) On a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 40 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.

and for good measure...

Maximum Number of Lamps
24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
can you explain more???

as far as I can find out, you can make the fog lamps your DRL's but you cannot set them to remain on when you turn on the high beams???

I too have a Flashcal, it has a option to have the fog lights stay on with high beams are on... I have mine set on that and it does work..

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Fog lights are intended to be used in foggy conditions. High beams reflect off the fog and you end up with less visibility using them. Fogs are supposed to be set so they extend your visibility during foggy weather. Having your fogs on at the same time as your high beams defeats the purpose of fog lights.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fog lights are intended to be used in foggy conditions. High beams reflect off the fog and you end up with less visibility using them. Fogs are supposed to be set so they extend your visibility during foggy weather. Having your fogs on at the same time as your high beams defeats the purpose of fog lights.
If your using them in the fog yes.... BUT if your some dark road and use them both together it really lights up the road..

·
Registered
615 Posts
Fog lights should be used in only very rare situations. If you need the fog lights, the high beams are going to make things worse.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,676 Posts
^^^Bingo, the correct answer.........:thumb:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well since this thread went in a direction it was not intended to..
a little simple research came up with the legal issues..

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO HAVE FOG LIGHTS ON AT THE SAME TIME AS HIGH BEAM LIGHTS.. UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAWS OR REGULATIONS..

get your facts straight before you open your mouth.. and prove you have no idea what you are talking about..

And this thread was not asking for opinions (which of course every one wants to add their two cents..) on whether or not the fog lights should be used..

All is asked is has anyone done this and if so how.. simple I thought..

so if you have please post how you did it. .if not.. well then

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Federal Transportation Rules reguarding Fog Lamps

Submitted by fmcsa-admin on Mon, 2014-02-17 17:33 Requirements for head lamps, auxiliary driving lamps and front fog lamps.

Category:
Regulations

Section Content:
<p style="margin-left: 40px;">(a)
< em><b>Headlamps.</b></em> Every bus, truck and truck tractor shall be equipped with headlamps as required by § 393.11(a). The headlamps shall provide an upper and lower beam distribution of light, selectable at the driver's will and be steady-burning. The headlamps shall be marked in accordance with FMVSS No. 108. Auxiliary driving lamps and/or front fog lamps may not be used to satisfy the requirements of this paragraph.</P>
< p style="margin-left: 40px;">(b)
< em><b>Auxiliary driving lamps and front fog lamps.</b></em> Commercial motor vehicles may be equipped with auxiliary driving lamps and/or front fog lamps for use in conjunction with, but not in lieu of the required headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps shall meet SAE Standard J581 Auxiliary Upper Beam Lamps, July 2004, and front fog lamps shall meet SAE Standard J583 Front Fog Lamp, August 2004. (See § 393.7 for information on the incorporation by reference and availability of these documents.)</P>
< p style="margin-left: 40px;">(c)
< em><b>Mounting.</b></em> Headlamps shall be mounted and aimable in accordance with FMVSS No. 108. Auxiliary driving lamps and front fog lamps shall be mounted so that the beams are aimable and the mounting shall prevent the aim of the lighting device from being disturbed while the vehicle is operating on public roads.</P>
< p style="margin-left: 40px;">(d)
< em><b>Aiming.</b></em> Headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps and front fog lamps shall be aimed to meet the aiming specifications in FMVSS No. 108 (49 CFR 571.108), SAE J581, and SAE J583, respectively.</P>

Section Footnote:

Section Citation:
[70 FR 48046, Aug. 15, 2005]

Regulations Topic:
Driver
Vehicle
Company

Part or Section Designation:
section

Description:
§ 393.24

Date:
Tuesday, October 1, 2013

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
State laws regulate how many forward facing lights you can have..
and that is between 4 and as many as you want.

All state laws regulate Head lamps must be used and auxiliary lamps cannot take the place of the head lamps..

so if you are not smart enough to turn your high beams down when on coming traffic gets within the legal distance .. fog light on or not do not make any difference..

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Has anyone done the task of keeping the fog lights on when you turn on your hi beams??

It seems completely counter to the wanting to see better when you turn on your Hi beams that the fog lights go off. not sure why almost every manufacture does this..

any ideas how to make this work.. ??????
You also asked why vehicle manufacturers design their lighting systems to turn off the fog lights when the high beams are activated. This is the reason: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Lighting experts indicate that there is an "illusion" that you might see better but the reality is you don't. The Daniel Stern site fully explains it based upon experts in this area and their testing procedures which actually prove it. The engineers that design the system believe the lighting experts. But, if someone prefers to do it anyway that's their choice. It's not a major issue. It can be programmed with a Flashcal.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
There are 2 reasons why your fog lights turn off when you hit the brights, the first being the amount of lights, as discussed above. The second: Your eyes at night need to be focused far ahead, where the light is. Your eyes work better if the brain is only processing what is far ahead of you and completely ignoring the darkness just in front of you. When you are doing 65 on the highway, what is happening 6 feet in front of you does not matter.

Now, is this always ideal? no. Maybe you want to use your brights and your fogs on a dark trail at night where speeds are only 3-4mph, but that's how cars work!

And dont say "well what if it is foggy and I need to use the fog lights", your brights are just going to make it worse...

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
There are 2 reasons why your fog lights turn off when you hit the brights, the first being the amount of lights, as discussed above. The second: Your eyes at night need to be focused far ahead, where the light is. Your eyes work better if the brain is only processing what is far ahead of you and completely ignoring the darkness just in front of you. When you are doing 65 on the highway, what is happening 6 feet in front of you does not matter.

Now, is this always ideal? no. Maybe you want to use your brights and your fogs on a dark trail at night where speeds are only 3-4mph, but that's how cars work!

And dont say "well what if it is foggy and I need to use the fog lights", your brights are just going to make it worse...
Tweak,thats exactly why I wear a pirate eye patch when driving at night. !!!! Sometimes I wear two if its really dark. Besides it looking awesome of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Tweak,thats exactly why I wear a pirate eye patch when driving at night. !!!! Sometimes I wear two if its really dark. Besides it looking awesome of course.
That's a game changer right there!:lmao:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts