Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and happy holidays. Just days after I fixed my fog lights -- the passenger one wouldn't turn on, but I found it wasn't getting a ground, so I adjusted the connection to the bumper -- I had them on, they worked fine and I stepped into a liquor store to get some brew.
I got back in my jeep and while I was about to park at my next destination, noticed they weren't on. I switched them on and off, but got nothing.
I checked the fuse box under the hood, but the fused looked fine. The thing is, the switch on the dash (below the AC/heater unit) still lights up red.

Any thoughts? Is this common?
It's a 98 Sport.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I'd check for voltage at the fog lights first...then start tracing your wiring back and see where you lose voltage. Are they factory fog lights or did you install them yourself...could be a burned up switch if you did em yourself or if the lights have been rewired with higher powered "fog" lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are factory. I read a lot on the problem of the lights staying on. But mine won't turn on at all. Could that still mean a bad relay?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You need to check the switch, the wiring from the switch to the relay, and the wiring from the relay to the lights. Also, try swapping the relay for one that you know works. Start working backwards from the lights with a test light or meter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn. Okay. More work to do. My catalytic converter went out too. Rattles like hell. Yep. It's a busy month for the Jeep.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

Found out it was indeed the relay. Got a relay switch at O'Reily's for $5. Works like a charm. An under 5 minute repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts