Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need some help with the fog lights on my wife's Jeep. The fogs stay on all the time, I can't get them to turn off unless I disconnect them. Any help would be great. It is a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
My first thought would be a BAD/STUCK Relay. Not real sure about a 03, but most Relays have a constant power feed, that feed is triggered by a lower power source /
switch that energizes a coil that closes a contact to the constant power feed making
it connect to the accessory the Relay operates. If that coil is stuck, the power will be constant to the accessory. If that's not the issue, more checking will be in order.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Probabally need a new multu function switch? I just replaced mine now the Fogs come on and off. Search multi function switch.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just finished adding soem new driving lights to my TJ and replacing the Fogs, I used some factory wire and ran some new and used a new relay. From what I've seen in doing this and if you are saying everything else is workgin ok I'm with CoyoteON2, it sure sounds like the relay, not sure where it's located on an 03 but you could try tapping on it with a screw driver or somthing lightly and see if it releases, they do make a little click when the engage or disengage.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've seen the bad relay issue more than once on Vehicles that came into the Shop.
Main reason I mentioned it to the O/P , is his comment that "The fogs stay on all the time, I can't get them to turn off unless I disconnect them." With that being said,
the fog light TRIGGER circuit should have no power when the Vehicle/Ignition is in
the off position, unless it has cross power / short in that part of the circuit, ie, as mentioned Multi Switch. So in trouble shooting Electrical issues, it's always better to
start with the simple areas first, rather than the more difficult.

·
Registered
285 Posts
WARN fog and driving lights

Thinking about some 3.5 inch fogs on the bumper and 6.5 inch driving lights on the light hoop just above the bumper. I'm looking at the WARNs that have the wireless on/off switch but honestly, I think I'm doing that because I'm not too good with wiring and that sure seems easier.

So..anyone have the WARN lights...how do you like them. SHould I get 6.5 for both or would the 3.5 fogs work just fine (I thought it might look better having 3.5s low...6.5 high and then the 7.0 headlights)

Last comment...might put long range lights on mirror bracket or hood bracket at some point...but WARN doesn't make those (yet) so that's my only concern with going with WARN from the start.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is the multifunction switch. The '03 Tj has the pull out switch for fog lights on the left stalk. The switch is known to go bad. The part is $60 or so from autozone. Just replaced mine about a month ago. Take out the two screws on the bottom of the plastic behind the steering wheel. From there you take out the two, I think, screws that hold the stalks in place. Disconnect the plugs pull the relay. Then use a tiny Allen wrench to remove the little screws that hold both stalks together.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry about my WARN post above....thought I started a new thread and didn't mean to hijack this one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is the multifunction switch. The '03 Tj has the pull out switch for fog lights on the left stalk. The switch is known to go bad. The part is $60 or so from autozone. Just replaced mine about a month ago. Take out the two screws on the bottom of the plastic behind the steering wheel. From there you take out the two, I think, screws that hold the stalks in place. Disconnect the plugs pull the relay. Then use a tiny Allen wrench to remove the little screws that hold both stalks together.
Thanks for the info, you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the piece you replaced? I have to go to AutoZone this weekend and if I can give them a better description of what I need it might help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I ruled out the relay. Got a new relay today and switched it with the OEM one and the lights still stay on. So now I know I have to replace the switch.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I bought my switch from Autozone..It has the actual Chrysler logo on the switch but so far in a week I am on #3 hopefully this one will work correctly?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts