Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Help me out. Recently my windows have started to fog up for no apparent reason and even with the defroster on full blast they don't dry up. Condensation is on the inside. I have a 2000 4.0L. What's going on?

:blackeye

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
And if not that, are your carpets/floor boards wet? Moisture evaporating off the floor will condense on the colder windows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do smell some anti-freeze. Looks like that could be it. Are there any sealants or additives I can use to try and plug the leak? If not, what can I expect to pay to get that replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
I do smell some anti-freeze. Looks like that could be it. Are there any sealants or additives I can use to try and plug the leak? If not, what can I expect to pay to get that replaced?
I paid $300 and change back in 94-95 time frame on my mustang. No clue what it would cost for a Jeep. Don't think there's anything you can do for a bad core other than replace it. You need to take it to a mechanic to get it checked out and get an estimate. If you can't diagnose / fix the issue yourself.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds like heater core to me. If you can follow simple directions, turn a wrench, and have an entire Saturday open, then I'd definitely do it yourself. I've heard people paying almost $1K for a shop to do it, I did mine for under $100. I'd also suggest you spring for a genuine mopar core, as you don't want to be back in there again next year.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
The only true fix is replacement but if you can live without heat or defrost for awhile you can take the hoses under the hood and disconnect them and replace that with a hose loop so no more flow to heater core until you get time to fix it properly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts