Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the factory fog lights if you want to call them that; are poor at best.... They are more auxiliary lights than fog or off road lights until you upgrade them.
I have been reading what others have done to make theirs better.
Members have used a variety of Halogen, HID, LED replacement bulbs or have replaced the housings with better reflectors.
Then there is the difference between connecting to the existing CAN bus fed power or going with a dedicated harness that is triggered by the factory switch or even using a different switch in the cab to turn on the lights.
So many different manufactures, claims on performance and prices to sort thru to see what will meet your needs and budget.

One members needs and budget is not the same as another members so even though there are better bulbs and housings; they cannot afford the same as what others can afford.
Where I am going with this is.... I have been looking around and have tried a few replacement bulbs in the factory housing and decided that their performance is not what I hoped for....

What I am trying to do is find a upgraded housing to fit in the factory location..... and there are several to choose from. Rigid, Inspired Engineering and Vision X are to name just a few.

I have decided to purchase the Inspired Engineering Revolver kit with a dedicated harness. These should fit my needs and budget.

Before I actually purchase them; does anyone have pictures of the Inspired Engineering lights installed and illuminated to see their actual installed light pattern.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just installed a set of Inspired engineering Revolvers in mine last week. They are nice I'm happy with them they match up pretty good with my heated truck-lites.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just installed a set of Inspired engineering Revolvers in mine last week. They are nice I'm happy with them they match up pretty good with my heated truck-lites.
Do you have any pictures of just the fog lights on shining down the road ?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the fog lights that I am going to purchasing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put in a set of Inspired Engineering Revolvers about 2 months ago and they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. A nice cool bright white, match very well if you are running a set of Truck-lites.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was going to install Rigid Duallys in an adapter bracket until I ran across the JW Speaker fogs. Not too expensive, and match the output of my Trucklites.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Inspired Revolvers and my new bumper are sitting on my doorstop as I type this. Once I get them installed I will post some pictures. Hopefully within the week.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solution for relay chatter in separate fog light harness

Installed the Inspired Revolvers this past weekend. I ordered a separate harness/relay and decided use the factory fog light switch instead of the harness switch for energizing the lights. I disassembled the harness switch wiring and tied the switches positive wire to the factory fog light positive wire and the switches negative wire to the vehicle ground. This way the CanBus system would not read the amperage being used (CanBus reads thru negative return) and throttle back the voltage causing the relay to chatter.
This idea works... Full voltage to the relay from the factory fog light harness and no chatter of the relay.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Can you post a picture of the beam on the road?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you're looking to see down the road, that is not the function of fog lights, or any light in this position. The purpose of these lights is solely for inclement weather to be able to see the sides of the road and the area directly in front of the vehicle. There is no distinct "pattern" that you will be able to see. It's just a broad shroud of light. They will not enhance your visibility or supply any visible enhancement to your headlights.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the Inspired Revolvers

With IPF H4 headlights and the Revolvers

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
I went with JWS fogs and Truck-Lite heated headlights. I have a bright complete pattern from my hood line to tree line. I have been in nasty fog and the JWS are incredible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now I've just got to replace the headlights! I will appreciate anyone's feedback that have installed the new IE LED headlights.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you're looking to see down the road, that is not the function of fog lights, or any light in this position. The purpose of these lights is solely for inclement weather to be able to see the sides of the road and the area directly in front of the vehicle. There is no distinct "pattern" that you will be able to see. It's just a broad shroud of light. They will not enhance your visibility or supply any visible enhancement to your headlights.
Exactly! The factory fog lights are the best fog light option. Fog lights should NOT be bright, their sole purpose is to illuminate the road lines directly in front of the vehicle and to the side. The further and brighter the light becomes the more useless they become. You also want a low kelvin yellowish color as to minimize reflection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the Inspired Revolvers this past weekend. I ordered a separate harness/relay and decided use the factory fog light switch instead of the harness switch for energizing the lights. I disassembled the harness switch wiring and tied the switches positive wire to the factory fog light positive wire and the switches negative wire to the vehicle ground. This way the CanBus system would not read the amperage being used (CanBus reads thru negative return) and throttle back the voltage causing the relay to chatter.
This idea works... Full voltage to the relay from the factory fog light harness and no chatter of the relay.

Charles,

Apologize for these questions if they are dumb. If the CanBus communicates through the negative lead, would grounding to the chassis just send the communications through the chassis? Or does that bypass the CanBus unit? Also, do I need a relay, or can I just wire my new LED fog lights to the factory harness for positive, and ground to the chassis for negative?

Thanks

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts