Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Some time ago I posted about a near 3 years long issue with my 2005 Sport 4.0L I-6, 6-speed manual.

The issue was my TJ would shut itself down once it hit operating temp. My PCM would offer no codes during or after the shutdown. When the vehicle was turned off, then key turned to the accessories position and if the dash did not come to life (gauges spring on) any attempt to start would vomit a list of P codes and sometimes a U code for the cluster. If the dash did reset correctly, get home ASAP…

After cleaning grounds, replacing multiple cam and crank sensors at TDC, the PCM would frequently throw P0344 and P0335 indicating the sensors were bad, yet I never received a P0016 except in the code vomit. I even tossed in a new alternator, then an OPDA (it looked worn) at one point and got two week’s use out of the vehicle each time before the problem came back.

Needless to say I was at my wits end. Used a better OBDII reader and software package from a friend and were able to distill the error codes down to a consistent P0344, P0335 and now P0016. So, about a month ago I blew some cash on a Wrangler Fix PCM as a last resort. It worked. What ever issues my original PCM had resolving the sync between the two sensors was gone. I have since put more miles on the Jeep in 4 weeks than over the last 3 years combined. I forgot how much fun it is to drive when you aren’t being forced to hover a foot over the clutch waiting for it to die. I had a goal that whatever was wrong, needed to be fixed in time to head to this year's Muddy Roots Festival. Goal accomplished. My life is complete. See y'all at the Southern Gothic Camp Out.

Now about those rusted off parking brake connectors on the rear rotors...
ACAB - Always Carry A Brick

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to edit this to indicate another user was having P0016 codes with their 2006 TJ Sport, went with WF for a PCM, and had the issue resolved. That's pretty much the only reason I made a desperation purchase hoping it would fix the problem.

·
Registered
2006 Wrangler Rubicon Zone Off-road 4.25 Combo Kit , BFG KO2 285/75R16
15 Posts
Hi guys,

Some time ago I posted about a near 3 years long issue with my 2005 Sport 4.0L I-6, 6-speed manual.

The issue was my TJ would shut itself down once it hit operating temp. My PCM would offer no codes during or after the shutdown. When the vehicle was turned off, then key turned to the accessories position and if the dash did not come to life (gauges spring on) any attempt to start would vomit a list of P codes and sometimes a U code for the cluster. If the dash did reset correctly, get home ASAP…

After cleaning grounds, replacing multiple cam and crank sensors at TDC, the PCM would frequently throw P0344 and P0335 indicating the sensors were bad, yet I never received a P0016 except in the code vomit. I even tossed in a new alternator, then an OPDA (it looked worn) at one point and got two week’s use out of the vehicle each time before the problem came back.

Needless to say I was at my wits end. Used a better OBDII reader and software package from a friend and were able to distill the error codes down to a consistent P0344, P0335 and now P0016. So, about a month ago I blew some cash on a Wrangler Fix PCM as a last resort. It worked. What ever issues my original PCM had resolving the sync between the two sensors was gone. I have since put more miles on the Jeep in 4 weeks than over the last 3 years combined. I forgot how much fun it is to drive when you aren’t being forced to hover a foot over the clutch waiting for it to die. I had a goal that whatever was wrong, needed to be fixed in time to head to this year's Muddy Roots Festival. Goal accomplished. My life is complete. See y'all at the Southern Gothic Camp Out.

Now about those rusted off parking brake connectors on the rear rotors...
ACAB - Always Carry A Brick
I am having pretty much all this same issue I’m sending out my ecu and hoping for the best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts