Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For everyone out there who has purchased an Olympic Defender rear bumper only to find that Olympic suspiciously failed to mention that you need to permanently remove your rear tow hook in order to install it, I have an easy mod that allows you to keep your tow hook in its original position along with your Defender bumper.

You will need a drill press (although you could possibly use a handheld electric drill), a set of metal-boring drill bits that go up to 1/2", a bench grinder (or other decent grinding tool), and (3) 1/2" X 2" galvanized bolts, along with matching nuts, washers, and lock washers.

You simply drill holes into the Olympic bumper mounting plate where it matches up with the tow hook side-piece. You'll probably need to start with a small bit and work your way up to the 1/2" one, since the metal plate that comes with the bumper is fairly thick. USE SAFETY GLASSES!!!

You will then need to grind one side of the washer on the rear-most frame-to-plate attachment bolt (see last photo) to accommodate the side piece of the tow hook. In other words, grind the 7 o'clock position of the washer down enough to allow the tow hook side piece to rest against the frame without it sitting on the washer.

Then simply bolt the tow hook back onto it's original location, and attach the 2" bolts right through the frame and Olympic bumper plate. Use both the standard and lock washers on the outside, and tighten the bolts up with the nuts placed on the inside. The third bolt goes up through the bottom in the existing hole (no drilling needs to be done here because the Olympic bumper plate doesn't block that hole.) You now have your tow hook back, mounted securely in its original location.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Since I have the factory receive tow hitch; when I installed the Olympic rear bumper I just left the tow hook off.
For me... it was a cleaner install and the tow point is centrally located instead of off to the one side.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have a receiver hitch, as well, I just thought it was crazy to throw the toe hook away when I could re-install it with about $3 worth of hardware. Have you noticed the Olympic bumpers scratch real easily?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Are there any aftermarket bumpers that retain the use of the tow hook? I know mine didnt. I didnt see the need to retain it since most bumpers thave D rings.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, I have a receiver hitch, as well, I just thought it was crazy to throw the toe hook away when I could re-install it with about $3 worth of hardware. Have you noticed the Olympic bumpers scratch real easily?
Funny you should mention that.....
For a surface that is powder coated instead of painted; it does mar or chip easily.
The C4x4 Fabrication bumpers that I installed on my XJ over 15 years ago don't do that....
Guess it's the either the quality of the powder coat or the surface preparation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts