Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought a 95 YJ, 5 speed. I love shifting the gears and just the overall feeling of owning and driving a stick... That being said, just the limited, and I do mean LIMITED offroading I have done in the jeep, IM starting to think that an automatic would be easier sometimes. I feel sacrilegious just saying that. The GF and I got into a good debate on this,,,she is die hard 5 spd but really never drove one 4 wheeling....So Im curious on the boards take on this.

I love the 5spd, but could see in precarious spots where an automatic could have advantages.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Manual can be almost as easy to drive off-road if properly geared with an aftermarket/TJ Rubicon transfer Case. My YJ has a two speed Atlas with 4.3:1 gearing. Rig is so low geared that clutch usage is rarely necessary when Rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
The manual is now being touted as a anti-theft device. I think it was VW, in a new car ad. That is so sad, in so many ways.
All My kids were taught to drive a manual, Their first cars were all manual.
Upside - Helped them to pay attention when learning to drive.
Downside - I can't use that as an excuse for them not to borrow my Jeep.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
I've heard that some of the rock crawling "big guns" prefer automatic transmissions. I don't know any "big guns" so take that for what it's worth.

I agree with IRQ. What it seems to boil down to is what a person is used to and what they prefer.
I had a automatic Cherokee and it was really great. I still prefer my standard shift YJ though.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
439 Posts
An auto is easier off road, particularly if you are geared too tall. I'm not sure about YJ auto's though, weren't they three speeds?

I think a manual is more fun to drive, which to me is what a Jeep is all about, and thus I have a manual. If I was going to build a Jeep for serious off road only and was going to trailer it, I might go auto.

Either way you go, I hope you enjoy your Jeep!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Manual Jeep. Automatic Toyota. I get the best of both worlds. Hop into my jeep and go back in time. When it's too hot and I got errands to run, I take the toyota. Get yourself a beater corolla and it'll actually save you money in gas or balance out your budget.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ok so I bought a 95 YJ, 5 speed. I love shifting the gears and just the overall feeling of owning and driving a stick... That being said, just the limited, and I do mean LIMITED offroading I have done in the jeep, IM starting to think that an automatic would be easier sometimes. I feel sacrilegious just saying that. The GF and I got into a good debate on this,,,she is die hard 5 spd but really never drove one 4 wheeling....So Im curious on the boards take on this.

I love the 5spd, but could see in precarious spots where an automatic could have advantages.
I have one of each...

I get the the manual (JK) and think "wow, this sure is fun..."...

Then I get in the auto (JKU) and think "wow, it sure is nice not to have to shift"...

So yeah...it just depends on what you like...both have their advantages..

...how's that for a non-answer :)

Reactions: clos0791

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
I got a manual because I have always wanted to drive with a big chaw in my cheek and you can’t do that with auto.
I missed it too.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Manual great for the quarter mile strip. Not so much for DD behind the yapping soccer moms. Anything longer than 10 miles in my YJ and I need anxiety meds.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
That anxiety stems from the new noise coming from under the Jeep!

Reactions: darrenjday and bp1

·
Registered
412 Posts
Been stick for 20+ years in all my cars. But for offroading, auto. From the infinite crawl ratio to just avoiding the abysmal hassle of slipping the clutch over slow going terrain to having others jump in the driver's seat to the ease of stopping and starting for lines and vistas.

Boils down to the Jeep's use. Limited offroading, stick in play imo. Actual offroading use, auto.

And btw... anyone who says manual or standard rather than stick can't really call themselves a stick driver. There.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Manual- 1) if battery dies I can push start it.
2) less brake wear :)- if I need to slow down just down shift.
3), 4) & 5) had a couple ex’s that always told me “it’s sexy watching you shift.”

1 - 20 of 48 Posts