Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
1 If battery is low you can push start... if it is dead you can push the jeep for days and it won't start....
2 Auto's can downshift too.....
3 4 5 must not have been THAT sexy if they're ex's.... BAWHAHAHAHA.... J/K ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have had two YJs. First was auto, current is manual. Manual is definitely more fun!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Been driving manual semi's for 2 decades now and I got tired of shifting some more on my way home. Swapped in an XJ AW4 and it really is nice not shifting anymore.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Reminds me of a friend that built the most beautiful pools and spas. His home Jacuzzi was a mess. Also knew a guy that was a Penthouse photographer, wait, that’s a completely different analogy.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Manual- 1) if battery dies I can push start it.
2) less brake wear :)- if I need to slow down just down shift.
3), 4) & 5) had a couple ex’s that always told me “it’s sexy watching you shift.”
1)Ok, I'll give you that one.

2)Less brake wear but LOTS more clutch wear and brakes are easier to change (and cheaper) than clutches and throw-out-bearings, especially if you pay to have them done.

3, 4, 5, "See Gottagofast" above.

·
Registered
684 Posts
1)Ok, I'll give you that one.

2)Less brake wear but LOTS more clutch wear and brakes are easier to change (and cheaper) than clutches and throw-out-bearings, especially if you pay to have them done.

3, 4, 5, "See Gottagofast" above.
Eh my post was meant more as satire vs being in favor of either trans. I believe the entire post was supposed to be in fun. So taking anything serious in a post labeled as fun, kind of misses the point.
Whatever floats yer boat- is my motto :) (whether you prefer to row or use a trolling motor.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
With manual transmissions representing less than 3% of all vehicles sold in the USA you'll be hard pressed to find a dealer with a Rubicon manual on the lot. I searched a 500 mile radius in 2016 and ended up ordering my Rubicon, Hard Rock edition. The Rubicon is fully loaded , the only missing option is the automatic. I love driving the manual, but the truth is if you're serious about off roading, the automatic is probably your best option. The last thing you want to do is stall a manual while trying to traverse rocky terrain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a manual but I replaced it with an AW4 from an XJ. It's a LOT more convenient in traffic and I can hold better when rock crawling. I do miss the old 5-speed sometimes. I had a hand throttle on it. That thing was fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that after you have driven your manual for a longer period, you will love it. It will become second nature. I have only driven manual Jeep Wranglers for over 25 years, and love the feeling of power from a manual. I don't do a lot of off roading though. But for getting on the expressways, passing cars etc it's the only thing I would want to drive. Plus, being a lady, with high heels, and fur coats, I love the reactions I get. Definitely a plus for theft control also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Manual- 1) if battery dies I can push start it.
2) less brake wear :)- if I need to slow down just down shift.
3), 4) & 5) had a couple ex’s that always told me “it’s sexy watching you shift.”
I had a wise old trucker tell me to stop shifting down because brakes cost a lot less to repair than a transmission. Downshifting puts a lot of stress on the bearings because they are built with most of the strength for pulling. I believed him only after I had to put new bearings and a few gears in my Ford transmission. But that was the last transmissionI had to repair.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a wise old trucker tell me to stop shifting down because brakes cost a lot less to repair than a transmission. Downshifting puts a lot of stress on the bearings because they are built with most of the strength for pulling. I believed him only after I had to put new bearings and a few gears in my Ford transmission. But that was the last transmissionI had to repair.

EXACTLY!!! I coast a lot and rarely downshift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
I’m not sure about the fragile manual trans you guys are running but I’ve always got a LOT mileage out of my clutches.
This goes doubly for my motorcycle trans/clutches. And I tend to be tough on them (I don’t abuse them mind you) but I’ve never been afraid to dump clutches (burn outs), wheelies, down shifting to hit proper speeds for an apex, etc.
Like I said- whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
offroad you ride the brakes going down hilly trails you can down shift a auto . I think its more fun to engine brake meaning down shift your manual to slow down. auto trans add 1 or 2 grand to the price new. manuals you can push start or park on a hill facing down the hill. manuals are ezer and cheaper to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
offroad you ride the brakes going down hilly trails you can down shift a auto . I think its more fun to engine brake meaning down shift your manual to slow down. auto trans add 1 or 2 grand to the price new. manuals you can push start or park on a hill facing down the hill. manuals are ezer and cheaper to fix.
Electronic Fuel injection will NOT push start with a dead battery. You can push start it with a bad starter, but not a dead battery.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Carburator for the win!

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Yep, the days of push starting are long gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with "got it at last" I have the 89 yj 5speed ...I love driving it but I also love the fact that nobody else can ask to drive it because they don't know how too 😂 that was your first mistake , teaching them to drive it 😉 j/s Lol

21 - 40 of 48 Posts