Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year is your vehicle, and did you go with the premium (alpine) system?

I have a 2013 JKU with the Alpine audio upgrade and I think it sounds pretty damn good... Granted the tweeters could be clearer, I think the sub has nice tight bass that can hit pretty hard... Not earth shattering, but that isn't something I'm really interested in.

I know spending $2,000 overhauling it with after market stuff would make the difference night and day, but I actually think the stock system is good enough for me to not need to do that... Even though I have in all of my previous vehicles.

Some people complain about it not being loud enough with the top down - but with the Alpine system, on the highway with the freedom panels removed, I still only need to turn it to 3/4 volume to get it just about as loud as I can comfortably handle.

I was initially thinking the alpine system took the same audio as the base, and just added the sub - but do they actually up the wattage of the other speakers as well?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Base factory stereo blows in my 2009. But I'd rather spend the money on performance mods.
Motly Crue sounds like the Chipmunks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have no problems with the base unit with Alpines in my 2013. Granted, it could be better and I made the mistake of not getting the u-connect package but overall I am happy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 13 with Alpine premium and I think it sounds like crap. It is possibly average for standard car stereos but woefully poor compared to almost any other premium system I have heard. I'm in a different rental car every week and almost all of them sound better than my jeep.

Just my opinion though and not worth much.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a 12 Sahara with the infinity upgrade and I think it sounds great its good enough for me and like OP said not Interested in rattling the entire jeep with bass.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the premium Alpine and it's not the worst I've heard but it's weak. They must put the sub in the back for looks....it doesn't hit for crap. It's OK but not much "premium" about it if you ask me. Later on down the road I think it might have to get the 15" down firing sub and 1k watt amp treatment just for kicks. The only thing I do like about the factory stereo is it sounds OK and nobody is likely to waste the time stealing it....a lot can be said for that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I have a 13 JKU w/ standard radio and think it sounds pretty darn good.

I take it the Alpine most be about the same and not a lot better?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Alpine is blah.....not the best, not the worst. You just have to adjust the EQ and listen to CD's or high quality MP3's. Don't listen to Sirius....

·
Registered
208 Posts
I test drove a 2013 with upgraded Alpine stereo. It's not the best, my wife's Ford Edge stock radio sounds better. The jeep radio wasn't horrible but it wasn't worth what they charge for it. I'm leaning toward the basic radio and upgrading with my own setup.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Alpine is blah.....not the best, not the worst. You just have to adjust the EQ and listen to CD's or high quality MP3's. Don't listen to Sirius....
Sirius does suck beyond belief... Almost not listen-able.

What do you set your EQ to? curious? I can't find a 'good' setting.
Maybe it's because it sucks. lol

(2013 JKU with Alpine here)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm used to good audio gear and that stuff isn't good. Anyone who thinks the Premium Alpine system sounds good, doesn't know what good sounds like. Weak amp, horrible HU, mediocre speakers, non-matching tweeters, no real adjustments possible...

If it's good enough for you, no problem. Spend your money on other mods. But some audiophiles are not happy and have torn all that junk out and put better stuff in. To each their own...

Tons of threads on this subject in the Comm & Elec section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2013 stock stereo. Decided to go with the stock because I heard the alpine. Wasn't impressed at all. With the amount of money it costs you can upgrade the stock system to something much much better! Image dynamics have been a first choice for me. Had a partial sponsor from them. They are high quality for a great price.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Agreed! Sirius does suck. :doh:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
We listened to both when we were looking, and ended up knowing either way it would be replaced. The one that had everything else I wanted had the basic headunit, no amp, no sub - made it much easier to upgrade actually.

·
Registered
42 Posts
12 JKU with the infinity upgrade, I have no problems at all with the stereo sound. I can hear it riding down the road with the top off and it sounds great with the hard top on and the boom mats installed for insulation. I may be getting old but I do not want my bass over powering my music... Plus I purchased my Jeep for more than just Mall Krawling and cruising for chics... My wife gets really pissed about that second one... LOL!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I may be getting old but I do not want my bass over powering my music... Plus I purchased my Jeep for more than just Mall Krawling and cruising for chics... My wife gets really pissed about that second one... LOL!
:rofl: about the cruising chicks/wife comment!

I'm in the same boat - I may be getting old and don't want "super bass", but I'd like it to have good quality. The Alpine system just isn't "there". It's too "muddy". I don't want to do a lot to upgrade the "upgraded" sound system, but I'd love to do enough to clean it up...on a budget.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Sirius does suck beyond belief... Almost not listen-able.

What do you set your EQ to? curious? I can't find a 'good' setting.
Maybe it's because it sucks. lol

(2013 JKU with Alpine here)
I've changed my speakers, but I think I had it at:
Treble +7
Mid -7
Bass+3

Or something like that.

The problem with the factory system and why everyone calls it muddy is because there is WAY too much mid-bass and there are only two tweeters in the entire system (the tombstones on the dash are not even powered by the amp). Plus you can't control the sub separately.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts