Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I just a new 2015 wrangler Sahara unlimited and while I was driving yesterday a humming noise started coming from my engine I thought it was just a twig under my car or something so I didn't really mind. It was late so I waited until today and I cleaned the hell out of the bottom of my car and the noise is still there.

It's the exact same sound as when we would put a playing car in our bicycle wheels so our bikes would sound meaner.

The weird thing about the sound is also that it only happens when I have my foot on the accelartion and it gets worse as I drive faster. It seems like it's coming right inside my engine but I might wrong.. I was driving through mud last night but it was absolutely nothing serious and nothing my car wasn't meant to handle.

Thank you guys in advance and any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
863 Posts
Another thing to check is the drive shaft boots. I have ripped two of them and that is the noise they make because as the drive shaft rotates the boot slaps something.
If you only hear it when you are accelerating then it may be something different since the drive shaft would be turning even while not accelerating, but still moving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"It's the exact same sound as when we would put a playing card in our bicycle wheels so our bikes would sound meaner."

Could it be an exhaust leak?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Wash off the mud. Crawl around underneath. The card in bicycle wheel sound chief candidate is the driveshaft boot. See if its torn. You can tear off the boot if so - it will still be driveable, just put a new driveshaft on your shopping list sooner rather than later.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Also not sure if the Sahara has it, but on my Rubicon there was a skinny little cross bar (not the big cross member) in the front - if you clunked this, it may be the exhaust banging it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is literally exactly like that... If it is the drive shaft how would I actually get in and look. Is it under the engine? I know it's from the motor because I lift my hood and the sound is coming from right there .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I look under my car and everything seems fine.. If I started to rinse under my hood around my engine would I mess it up? Sorry if thats a stupid question but it just sounds like something is stuck .

·
Registered
646 Posts
I vote for front driveshaft boot. They do make a replacement boot kit now.

Look under the Jeep from the drivers side door, about the middle of the door. Look up and you will see a driveshaft, the big black boot is probably torn with a piece hanging from it. That piece hitting something is the bicycle spoke noise you hear.

Cut the piece off, the noise will be gone.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Serpentine belt? Have someone rev the thing while you are looking/listening under the hood? Also slide below it. Please be careful. Don't lose fingers or worse.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So can you hear the noise when the Jeep is idling but sitting still? If so, it's not the driveshaft. When exactly do you hear it and when do you not hear it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So can you hear the noise when the Jeep is idling but sitting still? If so, it's not the driveshaft. When exactly do you hear it and when do you not hear it?

Yes i can hear it while idlingbut it slows down. It gets really loud when I get faster, the sound is exactly like the bike video someone earlier posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys thank you so much for all your help , so I just checked my driveshaft and it looks like nothing is wrong with it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yeah, if the noise is present when you're not moving then it wouldn't be the drive shaft. It must be a belt or possibly exhaust rubbing on something or something else that is moving when the Jeep is sitting still.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry, the OP said it got worse as they went faster, not that it did it at idle.

Clean the hell out of it, take it to dealer and hope they are decent about wheeling or don't see any mud.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Engine noises /sounds are hard to diagnose and from your description, that is what you are hearing (at idle, not moving but revving).

You need to carefully look at your engine and listen while trying to best determine where the sound is originating from.
There are only several moving parts outside the engine visible to you and they are all in the front (top & bottom).
If you can not see what is causing the noise it is time to get your JEEP to a mechanic for better diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys again thank you everyone's help. I don't want to leave this thread without the end game because I hate when people do that.

So I am at the dealership right now and they told me that the part where my catilitic converter meets my exhaust is out of place or loose or something and now to fix it they have to wait for it to cool down put together. I hope they do not charge me cause I'm still under factory warranty and an additional 70000 milebwarranty.

I really appreciate the community feel on this forum. Thanks again guys is there an official way I can close the thread or does it die itself.

Peace love and jeeps

1 - 20 of 29 Posts