Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about $4k-$5k you can get a well work TJ 4 cyl - manual or a similarly well worn YJ but usually with the 4.0.

Given that both would require a good bit of repair and maintenance. Given that the primary use would be off-road but that occasional long-distance travel would be required (to get to off-road rallies and such)...which do you get?

And on a related note, if you get a TJ with the 2.5, what (other than the engine and gears) are unique to the 2.5? In other words, if you didn't mind doing an engine swap, what else would need to be changed?

·
Registered
427 Posts
YJ 4.0. I wouldn't trade for a 4-cylinder TJ. My dad used to own one and I wasn't thrilled about it. I like TJs and no offense to the 4 banger crowd, but I wouldn't have a 4-cylinder Wrangler at all. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
405 Posts
As the owner (technically) of both a 4 cyl TJ & a 6 cyl YJ (gave the YJ to my son), I say 6 cyl YJ. The four cyls do not give you that much better fuel mileage for the the loss of power you will experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts