Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you finish with a clear coat? Not a painter. Looking at doing this in a few weeks. :wavey:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nope. No clear coat on mine. I put several light coats on and was done. I initially put plasti-dip on and it peeled a bit and then got some chips I'm assuming from road debris. So i stripped that and sprayed bedliner on. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nope. No clear coat on mine. I put several light coats on and was done. I initially put plasti-dip on and it peeled a bit and then got some chips I'm assuming from road debris. So i stripped that and sprayed bedliner on. I'm very happy with it.
Did you prep your grill before spraying the bedliner?

·
Registered
301 Posts
From personal experience, I thought I'd save a few bucks and Herculined the grille since I did the cargo area. After about 6 months, it really looked liked crap (grille and cargo area). Faded and dull. Ended up going with Line-x (premium with UV protectant built in).

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did mine a few months ago. Plasti-dip it first. Cleaned with rubbing alcohol to get any grease or film off. Used a can of plasti-dip then a can of bedliner. No clear coat. Use light coats, thicker coats take longer to dry and sometimes don't level out. Be sure to clean the tip of the can after every spray. It dries and clogs the nozzle if you don't and it comes out in globs.

image-3290238098.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did mine a few months ago. Plasti-dip it first. Cleaned with rubbing alcohol to get any grease or film off. Used a can of plasti-dip then a can of bedliner. No clear coat. Use light coats, thicker coats take longer to dry and sometimes don't level out. Be sure to clean the tip of the can after every spray. It dries and clogs the nozzle if you don't and it comes out in globs.
I have a few questions. Why did you plastidip the grill before spraying the bedliner? I bedlined my door step but had to sand the painted area before spraying the bedliner. Also, what bedliner did you use?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i did the same process. The reason i did plastidip first was . For some reason i change my mind i can still peel it off .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've been thinking bout doing the line x thing on my grill anyone know how much that runs about?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
The thing that made me go with line X is the 100% UV protection. Which is the same reason I did my fenders, that Way my fenders will never get that chalky gray look that jeep fenders always get

·
Registered
434 Posts
Same reason as above, I can peel it off. Also I wanted a more textured look and the bed liner had that.
I used

View attachment 1640601

It looks better to me. I will say this, if you go off road be sure to clean it thoroughly afterwards. Mine absorbed some of the dirt but nothing a quick coat can't fix.
The cans of plasti-dip run around $6 and the bed liner was $10 or so. Way cheaper than paying someone to do it. Also you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same reason as above, I can peel it off. Also I wanted a more textured look and the bed liner had that. I used It looks better to me. I will say this, if you go off road be sure to clean it thoroughly afterwards. Mine absorbed some of the dirt but nothing a quick coat can't fix. The cans of plasti-dip run around $6 and the bed liner was $10 or so. Way cheaper than paying someone to do it. Also you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.
Definitely looking forward to doing this mod. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The thing that made me go with line X is the 100% UV protection. Which is the same reason I did my fenders, that Way my fenders will never get that chalky gray look that jeep fenders always get
could you post some pics of your flares .like to see them

·
Registered
720 Posts
could you post some pics of your flares .like to see them
my post on the first page of this thread has a link. It is right above one of your posts. The link is of my jeep projects, should be like 4 pages. The close ups of the fenders are after they were done and any pics after those that show the fenders. You just have to be sure when someone does them that the fully incapsulate them because line x doesn't stick to plastic very well however it does stick to itself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts