Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s the ride? I have a light two door and I’m looking to step up to 35s.
I currently have E load ridge grapplers that ride terrible, 26 PSI is manageable. Ill spend a decent amount of time on the road so ride quality and wear are important factors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the sst pros 33s , cant really compare to others since its my first mud terrain tires, but they are not loud when new when wasted they get noticeably louder. This could be to the fact that i haven't properly Rotated them so the fronts are getting waisted pretty quickly

·
Registered
632 Posts
Like mine. I ride at about 29 psi on my four door that is slightly modded. Not too much road noise but I don’t think I’d get E rated again. No reason on the light Jeep really and just added rotational mass to an already underpowered vehicle that gets crappy mpg.

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
E's on a Jeep tend to wear forever, even a heavy rig like mine. I have Mickey Thompson on mine, 40K miles and still a lot of tread left. I run them at 28 lbs cold. I have tried 26 lbs but when cold they are a little squirrely. If you can find a load range C or D you would be better off.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Spending most of your time on the road, you would be better off with ST MAXX.
I have them in "D" rated 315/70-17 on two JKUWW"s and my 2 door.
Running them at 28-30 psi.
They are relatively quiet, handle and ride great, and for our style of wheeling(overland), they work great.
A little over 40K on the 2 door and still going strong.

Reactions: jadmt and JnrJeep

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'm running STT Pro 295/70r17. E rated. Fairly light 2 door. ~30 psi. Like the poster above, I don't have much else to compare to. They feel fine to me. I am on the Rancho 2" with 9000s set on the softer side. That being said, I'm looking at going a little bigger and regearing next year some time and am eyeballing the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss. It looks like an STT based tire (from what I've read Cooper produces the Mickey tires) and the 35 (not 315) is available in a D load. I figure if E is ok, D will be even better.

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
The wife's STT Pro 37s are D rated, which is the reason we chose 12.5 wide instead of the E rated 13.5 wide. D rated are still pretty firm, running her shocks on soft and keeping 26-28 PSI makes it ride OK though. @JnrJeep her 37s measure 35 3/4, so it's like a 35" :D

The 40" STT Pro on mine are C rated, great ride and lots of grip but I know they won't last 85k like my E rated Toyos did :) I run my shocks on firm and they still ride great.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spending most of your time on the road, you would be better off with ST MAXX.
I have them in "D" rated 315/70-17 on two JKUWW"s and my 2 door.
Running them at 28-30 psi.
They are relatively quiet, handle and ride great, and for our style of wheeling(overland), they work great.
A little over 40K on the 2 door and still going strong.
How do they do in mud and wet

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toyo now makes their MT in 315 with C load. Thats what I would do. I wouldn't run E load on a 2 door if you care about ride quality.
I’ve heard the Toyos suck in wet weather and they are super heavy

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Best MTs that I've ever run on a wet street.
3rd best I've run in sticky southern clay-mud.
Best on wet rocks.

I'm on ST-Maxx again just for my street and trailering bias. I'd run the Pro again if I ever get a shorter commute.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The wife's STT Pro 37s are D rated, which is the reason we chose 12.5 wide instead of the E rated 13.5 wide. D rated are still pretty firm, running her shocks on soft and keeping 26-28 PSI makes it ride OK though. @JnrJeep her 37s measure 35 3/4, so it's like a 35" :D

The 40" STT Pro on mine are C rated, great ride and lots of grip but I know they won't last 85k like my E rated Toyos did :) I run my shocks on firm and they still ride great.
I run the e rated 13.5 STT pro's, but am in a 4 door that is a bit heavier than BBS's. They are fine but I was on e rated 35's before. I would have done the same tires as BBS and spouse, but the e rated ones were on sale and almost $80 less per tire when I bought mine. Couldn't pass them up. I run 26 psi and they ride fine.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Truthfully, I have not done much serious mudding!
They have done ok in ant situations I have encountered.
they have done well in the wet, and also in our Northern NY winters.
That said, they are definitely not a mud tire

Reactions: JnrJeep
1 - 13 of 13 Posts