Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know someone that will install some LED's for me for free! so since they are so cheap i figure there is no reason not to. but i have a few questions about them first.

1. i have a 06...will the evap canister on the passenger side be in the way?

2. i know there is a relay mod...so without it my lights will flash super fast?

3. will they clear the stock license plate? and what about license plate illumination?

4. legal? don't i have to have a backup light?

and litedots are way to expensive.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
1. i have a 06...will the evap canister on the passenger side be in the way? Yes, but with a little creativity, you can work around it.

2. i know there is a relay mod...so without it my lights will flash super fast? Correct, if you can live with the increased speed in your blinkers (you will get used to it) don't worry about it, they still work.

3. will they clear the stock license plate? and what about license plate illumination?Mine didn't, but you may be able to with some creative placement. I didn't light mine for well over a year.

4. legal? don't i have to have a backup light?Sorry, got nothin' for you here, but you can always get a set of KC lights for the back...

and litedots are way to expensive.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
What Jeeperman said.

For license plate lighting you could use the 3rd brake light/license plate thing that you see on www.4x4xplor.com that mounts in the tire.

I used the Light'n Boltz for mine in the stock location.

For backup lights, I wired in some 35W lights from O'Reilly's and mounted em on my bumper/tire carrier.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Are these a specific type or brand of leds you're discussing?

We run leds on our big trucks and they work just like regular incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What Jeeperman said.

For license plate lighting you could use the 3rd brake light/license plate thing that you see on www.4x4xplor.com that mounts in the tire.

I used the Light'n Boltz for mine in the stock location.

For backup lights, I wired in some 35W lights from O'Reilly's and mounted em on my bumper/tire carrier.
did you have to move your license plate? i've seen pics of the rear of your jeep and i see the plate is in the same place...so i assume u didn't have to mess with it? how annoying is the fast blinker? or did you do the relay mod?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
did you have to move your license plate? i've seen pics of the rear of your jeep and i see the plate is in the same place...so i assume u didn't have to mess with it? how annoying is the fast blinker? or did you do the relay mod?
License plate is in the same spot. I based the LED location on where the holes were in my TbT corners that I installed - they became my template on where to cut.

They had the holes cut to remount the license plate holder, but I DID modify it so that I could run the Light'N boltz wires through the back of it and wire it into my pigtail harness for the lights so they would come on with the running lights.

I did the relay mod and scratched that path off, based on the writeup on www.stu-offroad.com.

I can go into more detail on how I wired the LightNboltz in the stock location if you need me to, but I'd REALLY need to do pics to make it clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts