Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a newbie here. I have a '04 rubicon and will be doing a V8 conversion, just not sure which motor I want to go with yet. I have it narrowed down, but im going to stay open minded as well. This will be my daily driver which the whole reason for my question so I will get to it now... I know there are tons of threads about V8 conversions, but I can not find anything about the gas mileage from people who have completed it. I was looking for some numbers from people that had the conversion already and not just estimates. Info on any V8's (preferably 5.0L up with 300+rwhp and tq) as well as the gears you are running with that would be greatly appretiated.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Most of the people I know that did the V8 mod are not concerned with gas milage. I'm not sure if you would actually see anything better then a few miles better to be honest.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have one of these

While it is not 300 rwhp it does throw down a very dependable 300ft. lbs of torque at very usable rpms. 0 - 60 mph in 8 seconds. I get a fairly consistent 16 mpg. I would.get better if I weren't over geared (4.88s with 32in tires ). This was a very straightforward swap only taking about 50hrs. and most parts are off the shelf at the part store or jeep wrecking yard, not a lot of fancy adapters here.

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
Hello all, I am a newbie here. I have a '04 rubicon and will be doing a V8 conversion, just not sure which motor I want to go with yet. I have it narrowed down, but im going to stay open minded as well. This will be my daily driver which the whole reason for my question so I will get to it now... I know there are tons of threads about V8 conversions, but I can not find anything about the gas mileage from people who have completed it. I was looking for some numbers from people that had the conversion already and not just estimates. Info on any V8's (preferably 5.0L up with 300+rwhp and tq) as well as the gears you are running with that would be greatly appretiated.
with an 04, and depending on what state you are in, that might limit what motor you want to use. some states require that engine swaps, the new motor can not be older then the vehicle it is going into.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have one of these

While it is not 300 rwhp it does throw down a very dependable 300ft. lbs of torque at very usable rpms. 0 - 60 mph in 8 seconds. I get a fairly consistent 16 mpg. I would.get better if I weren't over geared (4.88s with 32in tires ). This was a very straightforward swap only taking about 50hrs. and most parts are off the shelf at the part store or jeep wrecking yard, not a lot of fancy adapters here.
What motor is it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
pickncrew said:
hardcore that engine build is awesome, thanks for sharing :thumb:
Indeed but a little over my head at the moment i think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think I would find to many people that did. V-8 swaps for any kind of daily use practicality bu figured I would take a shot in the dark. A jeep is the perfect vehicle for me because I l

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love convertibles and being outdoors. I read on le website that boosted thier mpg by 5 over the 4.0 when putting in a LS1.

Schnutzy: I'm in Texas and you are correct, I will have to find a motor will have to be an '04 or newer I believe.

And sorry for the two messages, my phone is being dumb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts