Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Ford 8.8 on tj??

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  bryans98tj 
#1 ·
I am planning to dump the 35 and getting something a bit stronger. Getting a dana 44 with the mounts on it already would be easy, but very expensive. I can Pick up a ford 8.8(31 spline) out of a junkyard for 300 bucks. How hard do u think it would be to weld on all mounts and spring buckets?? Getting all angles? And can i find a kit with all mounts for this axle that will make it tj compatible? I can do all the welding myself, but i dont know about matching everything up for everyday safe driving

#2 ·
#10 ·
besides the c clip the 8.8 is stronger then the 44
plus if you get one out of a 95 or newer explorer you have disk brakes
superior has a C clip eliminator kit comes with alloy axles
but i8f you ever brake an axle the caliper will hold in the axle so you can nurse it back to camp or home

#11 ·
Inluding the C-Clip it's stronger than the 44. And if you can do all of the welding then for about 800 bucks total you can have a great rear axle replacement.

Here's a great writeup on how to position the brackets and do the measurements. This write up is tried and tested many times over by jeepers all over the world.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

#13 ·
thanks alot guys, im gonna look around next weekend for one. But first i need to order my locker for the front. Im planning to get a set of 36" tls swampers as my offroad set. And a set of stock 30"s as my street set. Gonna look pretty funny with 9.25 inches of lift with those tiny tires but its worth the money im saving with the swampers lasting years. Does this sound like a good set up=(36" swampers, with locked dana 30 in the front, with ford 8.8 in the rear.I want to find a positrac 8.8 though) how does that sound?

#16 ·
While not ideal the 36's can live on a dana 30. However, I would carry some spare shafts and ball joints just to be on the safe side. I have a buddy who runs 36 tsl on his, but he had an arb which helps as its not locked up all the time on the trail. less stress vs a full time locker.

#17 ·
ford 8.8 tj

I would definately go with the 8.8 over the 44. I have the 8.8 on mine and im running 37 inch tires. to make it safe for the road,make sure you weld the dog crap out of the brackets. As far as the measurements go,mount all your brackets the same distance apart from the backing plates. Set the pinion angle with a magnetic degree finder. put all you brackets on the control arms, shocks,etc.... Then tack everything in place, and measure the distance from the rear tires on each side in comparison to the front wheels. If you like,weld it. By the way make sure gas tank doesnt rub the back of the housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.