Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have a 4 inch lift, Ford 8.8 with 4.88 gears and pinion angle +15 degrees for the lift, an SYE and a double cardan driveshaft. Will the the pinion offset to the right side cause vibration issues? I is almost 2"?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
not with the SYE. I would do a 3.5 inch coil in the back, 4 inch coil in the front. The axle tubes are bigger, requiring less "lift" in the back. IIRC, my rear is 2 inch and with 3 inch coils and a 3/4 inch spacer in the front for winch weight I sit level.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The JB conversion looks awesome. My transfer case speed sensor is a gear, not electronic. Does it come with some type of conversion? The hole is much smaller.

I just read the install instructions and it does come with a tone wheel and sensor for the speedo. How would you adjust the speedo output signal to compensate for gears and tire size?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Mine vibrates at 60 on up, done everything to try and fix it, switching to a JB super short here in the spring with a different transfer case too, hopefully it works.

I have a Zone 3" and yeah the rear is up higher because of the bigger axle tube.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had an 8.8 in my last TJ with about 4" lift . I just used a regular Advanced Adaptors SYE and a TW shaft . Never had an issue

·
Registered
635 Posts
You might want to consider a super short sye like this one from JB. JB Conversions, Inc.
I've been running one for a couple of years and it's been excellent.
I'm currently shopping for an SYE and I've been looking for a Super Short unit. This looks like exactly what I'm looking for and well-built beef.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't been able to confirm but it looks like the super short only works with Jeeps that have and electronic speedometer. Mine is a 2003 and uses a gear for the speedo. The gear is connected to an electronic signal generator but I think that is referred to as mechanical vs the tone ring type.

Does anyone know what year they became electronic? WaterDog, what year is your Jeep.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lift is finished. It is a RC 4 inch long arm suspension lift with a ford 8.8 and disc brake conversion. Regeared to 4.88 front and rear. The front is still a low pinion Dana 30. I put in an Adams DC drive shaft and an SYE. New alloy wheels and Nitto Trail Grabbers. I have vibrations at highway speed. It is felt through the seat and is constant and very rhythmic. Much less noticeable coasting than acceleration. Tires are balanced and a local 4X4 shop aligned it and did final adjustments (including pinion angle) on the lift kit.

As you tell from my first post I was concerned about the offset or the 8.8. Most everyone says with a DC driveshaft there is not issue. I haven't pulled the front shaft to see if that is the problem but it wasn't an issue before the lift. I replace so much stuff I am not sure where to focus my efforts. Any suggestions?

BTW, everything is better with the 4.88 gears vs. the old 3.07.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Start with tire/wheel balance. TJ's are sensitive to it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tires give a shake, driveline gives a vibration, I know the feeling you are getting, I'd try a SSYE for a longer shaft to reduce some of your now compound angle due to side offset.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, the offset pinion on 8.8" axle can cause vibrations. That's one of the reasons I don't recommend them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts