Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo my rear axle sh!t the bed yesterday and I now am seriously contemplating the swap. I had a d35 with 3.73 gears . What does everyone think go with the 8.8 or another route

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well depending on your funds.. 8.8 swap isn't cheap, my d35 died about a month ago, i just replaced the ring and pinion, all bearings and seals, but all that burnt out on mine was the outer pinion bearing went out, all depends on the cost to fix your d35 vs to build a 8.8, im currently building my 8.8 atm, just spent the $250 to fix my d35 for temp use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the mechanic said its not worth fixing so I don't have much of a choice. I can score an 8.8 for like 150

·
Registered
268 Posts
well.. i dont trust mechanics they are lazy, yea i got my 8.8 for $150 too, the mounts im getting are $330 plus fab time of welding them on.. what exactly broke in ur D35

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jesus I'm not really sure but my gf dad is the owner of the shop so I don't think he lying hah. Well hopefully. But how much cash in fixing it up is it

·
Registered
227 Posts
some rough/quick numbers for ya:

100 = axle - find one that's geared right. there's tons of 3.73s out there, mostly mountaineers.
200-400 = link mounts, coil buckets & truss
200 = brake system rebuilt parts
200 = SYE
200-400 = adjustable control arms

have fun. there's a ton of info out there on it.

mine will include parts from artec, rockauto, rugged ridge, and iron rock offroad.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How difficult is the swap? Say I went with the bolt on one, does everything go smoothly from there or is it pita. I'm in college so I don't need to drive, I be got time n tools but not much money I can weld as well

·
Registered
8,402 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
How difficult is the swap? Say I went with the bolt on one, does everything go smoothly from there or is it pita. I'm in college so I don't need to drive, I be got time n tools but not much money I can weld as well
Yes, the 8.8 bolted right into the stock locations better then I could have hoped for. There were no issues at all installing it. There are several good write up's on the 8.8 swap into the TJ. Just get a couple of buddies to help you out. :thumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I found out today that my Dana 35 is not worth fixing at all. So I will now be starting the ford 8.8 swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts