Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was looking into doing a ford 8.8 swap, and i was reading some other posts on here about what to get the best 8.8 out of. Ive been seeing that most people get theres out of later explorers? What is the best 8.8 i can get?
Thanks
-Sam:wavey:

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
95/96 or newer models are the one's to look for. I think around 02 03 they went to all IFS.

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea 95 and newer started disk brakes but you can find this rear in: mazda najavo, mercury mountaineer, ford explorer, ford ranger.

im not sure of the years for the vehicles stated other than the explorer. also, the 8.8 out of the ranger was slightly different. smaller shafts i believe according to the source i read..ive been doing my hw on this because im suposed to be picking one up in two days. hope it helped good luck and wish me luck too lol

edit: so in conclusion, the best 8.8 to get is out of an explorer newer than 95 (unless you dont mind drum brakes) i also found a chart that tells you what each code on the diff cover means. The best code being "D2" which has the limited slip and 4.10 gears. the other 'D's are limited slip as well but have different gears and the ones that are just numbers (i think they are in the 40's) are not limited slip and just represent the ring and pinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts