Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about going from my Wrangler to a Gladiator, but then went and looked at the new Ford ranger. That is one nice truck that is similar in size to the Gladiator but it’s about $15,000 less.
What’s everyone’s opinion?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It's a nice pickup truck but nothing special or unique. My bet for the proposed Bronco is more of the same.

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
Wish they would hurry up with the ranger raptor edition.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Can't argue the utility of a truck.

Cons
Much longer than your JK
Can't take the top off if you prefer that kind of thing. I love the big sky when the top is open.

Pros
Truck
Better fuel economy than the Jeep
Ecoboost has been a good platform for Ford
As mentioned, better equipped than a Gladiator and better priced

You should also eyeball the Colorado, Tacoma and venerable Frontier if you are leaning truck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have been thinking about going from my Wrangler to a Gladiator, but then went and looked at the new Ford ranger. That is one nice truck that is similar in size to the Gladiator but it’s about $15,000 less.
What’s everyone’s opinion?
Did you price a loaded Ranger? I looked at one - $51,000.

For those saying the Ranger will get better MPG, the new 8 speed auto improved the MPG signifigantly in the new JL, should be good in the JT too.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Did you price a loaded Ranger? I looked at one - $51,000.

For those saying the Ranger will get better MPG, the new 8 speed auto improved the MPG signifigantly in the new JL, should be good in the JT too.
The JT is still a Jeep with all the streamlined aerodynamics of a cinder block, you can put lipstick on a cinder block but it is still a cinder block.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have been thinking about going from my Wrangler to a Gladiator, but then went and looked at the new Ford ranger. What’s everyone’s opinion?

Do you need the extra space? The upcoming Bronco will be the 2d sportiest offroader, after the 2-door Wrangler.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Do you need the extra space? The upcoming Bronco will be the 2d sportiest offroader, after the 2-door Wrangler.
^ anticipation.. patiently waiting for the Bronco myself. I was told Jan/Feb2020 it will be at the Chicago Auto show, we shall see.
Hopefully Ford doesn't screw this up.
I love my JEEP! 2011 JKU, and my 2014 F150.
Truck for work, Jeep for fun!

My father just picked up a new ranger lariat, it is pretty nice. Easier to drive than a full-size truck and feels pretty solid.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Bets its another ifs grocery getter, they will ruin it like they did the Explorer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With a grandchild a real back seat is needed. The Lariat I looked at was loaded with almost every option and has a sticker at just over $44,000. With X plan and Ford offering $3,000 in rebates it will be about $39,000 old.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Even with IFS, Bronco will have better offroad capability than 4Runner and FJ (and Bronco will feel sportier, too).

Ford is likely to follow up on Bronco's certain success with a US-spec Troller, if you must have SFA.

Personally, I agree that IFS is boring, because practically speaking it can't be lifted, and the tire size can't be increased that much. I'll still buy a Bronco to get from point A to point B. I don't want to put a lot of mileage on my JK because I'm not enthused about the JL.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
With a grandchild a real back seat is needed. The Lariat I looked at was loaded with almost every option and has a sticker at just over $44,000. With X plan and Ford offering $3,000 in rebates it will be about $39,000 old.
Ford knows how to do backseats right. 5' bed is plenty of bed for most folks too

Easily 99% of the population can handle what they want in an IFS equipped vehicle.

If I wanted back into the utility of a truck with some fun, I personally would lean towards Ranger or Colorado. Jeep is way to proud of it "Lifestyle" choice for me to be a player anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
What turned me off about the "new" Ranger was:

-It's actually 8 years old
-The interior is straight out of the 2012 Edge
-The front suspension won't allow for larger tires on stock wheels
-The magazine reviews have been terrible, panning the truck for it's bad ride, awful brakes, interior quality, etc.
-The rear seats only fold one way, and also are not a split bench
-The only engine option is an EcoBust, with a history of cracked cylinder heads and myriad other problems

Reactions: Blanka

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
Ford knows how to do backseats right. 5' bed is plenty of bed for most folks too

Easily 99% of the population can handle what they want in an IFS equipped vehicle.

If I wanted back into the utility of a truck with some fun, I personally would lean towards Ranger or Colorado. Jeep is way to proud of it "Lifestyle" choice for me to be a player anytime soon.
i agree i just helped a buddy put a IFS Dobison lift on his lexus 460 or 470 can never remember exact model. it flexes great and does very well offroad.

Reactions: Shadowmaker

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I have faith in Ford. They will find a way to screw it up. The "new" Ranger is only new to the U.S. It has been an overseas vehicle for years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
What turned me off about the "new" Ranger was:

-It's actually 8 years old
-The interior is straight out of the 2012 Edge
-The front suspension won't allow for larger tires on stock wheels
-The magazine reviews have been terrible, panning the truck for it's bad ride, awful brakes, interior quality, etc.
-The rear seats only fold one way, and also are not a split bench
-The only engine option is an EcoBust, with a history of cracked cylinder heads and myriad other problems

Agreed, the interior pics are disappointing, and all of your points sound valid - hoping they improve their interior styling, but evidently that's easier said than done

For my next daily driver, I'll be looking for a small shortwheelbase offroader, to get a sporty feel like my JK - I also want a two-door, so I'll have enough front seat space in my compact SUV, so Bronco seems like the only alternative to Wrangler

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really like the Gladiator and want one pretty bad. Its like a swiss army knife for me. 1. Wrangler open top feel 2. 4 doors for the kids 3. and truck bed for home projects. 4. capable off road 5. can tow my TJ (yes I know it would be at its limit)

I'm ready to buy, but my other half does not agree yet. Its a work in progress when this kind of coin is involved!

Ive priced the Gladiator 3 ways on Jeep's build and price configurator trying to stick with options that are functional that I would use, like spray in bedliner, aux switches, tow package, tonneau cover, trak loc, with a couple frills like cold weather package and U connect. Priced all with the 6 speed manual and a hard top to cut costs (because I really would want the dual top package).

A Sport came out to $39k which exlcudes the fancy U Connect since its not available at this level.
A Sport S came out to $44k
A Rubicon came out to $48k
At a $4k difference between the Sport S vs. the Rubicon, you might as well just do the Rubicon.

Recently I read an article in fourwheeler magazine on the Ram PowerWagon and it got me thinking what does that cost new? They start at $53k. So when you start adding options it adds up to around $60k. But the article had a little tip that I was not aware of. You can order a tradesman trim level and add the power wagon package. This bumps the price to $50k and then when I added options like spray in bedliner, tonneau cover, U Connect and a few other minor things it topped out at $53k. So now you have a 3/4 truck with a 6.4 box, front and rear lockers, 4.10 gears, sway bar disconnect, warn winch, manual transfer case and a 6.4L V8! Basically its a bigger Rubicon for the same price and you get more. I know I priced my Gladiator Rubicon $5k less but when you add the automatic and a like 1 more frill option they are the same price. Ive seen some fully decked out Rubicons close to $60k on the dealer lot.

The Gladiator is priced fair in its midsize truck market, but what I'm disappointed in is that all the manufacturers still haven't learned what killed the midsize truck market before. Price... Midsize trucks got pricey to the point that you can get a 1/2ton or even a 3/4ton truck not much more.

So I guess I'm not so ready to buy new Gladiator. Ill just do what I always do and wait for them to hit the used market in 3-5 years and just fix the previous owner's neglect like I always do. Or just buy a used PowerWagon that you can find all day long under $30k!

P.S. Ranger Vs. Gladiator = The Gladiator will hold its resale value much much better than the Ford.... Plus its more capable and you get the open air feel. Go with the Gladiator in this case.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My wife bought a New Ranger in 2010 today it has 90,000 miles with zero problems . Her Ranger is a four banger with auto trans AC and full power (windows - cruise) .
So the new Ranger came out and she is looking hard at buying one . The problem is it cost as much as a half ton F150( 2,500 more both 4x4) the gas mileage is better on the F150 yes only 1.3 mpg but better . The bottom line the F150 is a TRUCK and the trade value at 70,000 miles will likely will be better also cheaper to insure .

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Comparing a Ranger to a Gladiator Rubicon is comparing apples to oranges. Even a optioned Sport is no comparison. The only thing they have in common is they are in the same truck class, nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts