Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying this, any CJ owners out there have any input on this or questions about it that I should ask the owner?

1978 Jeep CJ5 AMC 304 V8

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Looks like it has power steering and power brakes too...

As far as the engine not running it is anybody's guess as to the cause. But from the sounds of it isn't something simple. I would def. check compression or ask him to check compression. My jeep use to quit like that and then start back up when I got it and the root cause was a crappy coil but doubt that is the problem here.

As far as the body/rust check the frame out, especially around the body mounts and behind the rearend. They tend to rust alot. Check all the connection points in the panels. You can see my thread on replacing them and where rust hides. The rust likes to build anywhere metal touches. As far as the floors I would crawl underneath and take a look. I have seen Jeeps with the section behind the front seats completely eaten up. If the front pans are only bad then you don't have too much work to replace them.

I'd also ask him obvious questions about the condition of the tranny and x-fer case. Make sure it went into 4x4 ok and didn't pop out of any gears.

But at the end of the day it is $700 too so I guess you can't be too picky. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I was also thinking it was probably compression related as well. I think for $700 bucks it could be a fun project to work on here and there.

It does not have any doors so that would be my main concern for now. I don't have a garage to store it in so it would be sitting in the driveway with tarps over it during the winter.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
for 700 bucks Id jump on it .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'd steal it out from under you if it were closer!
Even if it needs a new engine, it's a CJ for $700 !:punk:

That, and I always liked orange CJ's:D

It does not have any doors so that would be my main concern for now. I don't have a garage to store it in so it would be sitting in the driveway with tarps over it during the winter.
You could always buy a cover for it.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I was also thinking it was probably compression related as well. I think for $700 bucks it could be a fun project to work on here and there.
Sounds good like you said $700 isn't much a initial investment. I think you already made your mind you are gonna buy it...post pics if you get it.

As far as storage just make sure all the drain plugs are out and cover her up. I'm sure it sat out most of its life anyway....most cj's have.

CJ5's can get to alot of places CJ7's and new ones cant get too even some 4 wheeler trails. They are a fun to drive.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hardest part is going to be convincing the wife to let me add another Jeep to the family....

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The hardest part is going to be convincing the wife to let me add another Jeep to the family....

You could tell her it is a investment. :)

I have said that before and usually get a really "happy" stare! :cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could tell her it is a investment. :)

I have said that before and usually get a really "happy" stare! :cool:
I got the stink eye when I showed her the CL post and she said, Oh Hell No, no more Jeeps...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ask the owner if it has the Prestolite ignition, as that had a lot of problems ignition wise. If it ran before, it can't be too much trouble. $700-you could part it out and get that back easily. My 304 was rebuilt 3 years ago and runs like a champ. Timing chains in 304s can skip easy as they get older,and if you go changing it, you need to check the timing chain cover as well...weak point if the chain is loose and rubs it inside.

It doesn't look bad, can't see why it wouldn't be a good rig to play with. I'd say go for it...my wife is the same way...good luck!!

By the way, how tall are you? I see it has no seats...If you are over 6 ft., you'll want to set the seat brackets way back, and maybe notch the driver wheel well to get ya more room.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I missed out on this one, the post is gone. Just sent an email to see if he still had it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts