Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh.... what a pain. Fully installed--even had to put that synthetic rope on the drum TWICE because I forgot to put the nylon sleeve on the first time. Got it spooled for the first 10 wraps and took it out to the street to wind it the rest of the way and only got a "click" when pressing the button on the remote (even though it worked in my garage).

Talked to Warn--they said it was likely defective and to call the company I bought it from to see if they can do a replacement vs. warranty since it was brand new. Zoro.com's customer service was great--they're shipping the replacement and issued a call tag for the bad one.

At least the install on the new one should go quickly now that I know exactly how to do it. :)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That sucks it happened. At least the company is doing right by you instead of giving you a hard time. Waiting on my zone8 in the mail. Anything a pain with the install or was it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's pretty straight forward--hardest part was getting the synthetic rope onto the drum. Next to that, other than figuring out the wire routing, it was pretty easy. And yes, definitely happy that Zoro has been great to deal with. I was a bit worried about what they'd say (like maybe "go deal with Warn") but they took care of it no problem.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Sounds good. I was unsure of synthetic so I just went with what I knew steel. I've only dealt with hydraulic winches at work not electric. Figured the wiring couldn't consist of to much.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope.. just a positive and a negative directly to the battery. It's pretty easy, just snaking it up and zip tying it is the only hassle (and not much of one at that).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wow dude that stinks! I am glad that Zoro is taking care of you though.

This has to be a rare occurrence. Tell Warn you want to keep the extra line for your troubles!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
rt,

And after all the help you've given the rest of us! Sheesh. Sorry for the hassle.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow dude that stinks! I am glad that Zoro is taking care of you though.

This has to be a rare occurrence. Tell Warn you want to keep the extra line for your troubles!!!
Yeah the guy from Warn seemed pretty stunned that it wasn't working. Here's to hoping that's the only winch trouble I ever have. :)

Too bad I already sent the one back. Having a second line would've been nice!

rt,

And after all the help you've given the rest of us! Sheesh. Sorry for the hassle.
Thanks Raspy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Mr. RT,
I've never even heard of a Warn winch problem out of the box. Sorry to hear it. Good to know that Zoro is backing you up. Thanks to you I have a very well priced Zeon 10S on my rig and have made a number of orders with Zoro. Stuffing that winch in my Hard Rock bumper took a little effort and I would not like doing it for practice. Good Luck the 2nd time !
Cheers,Scott

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got almost the exact same problem. I installed my new Zeon 10-S last weekend. Powered the rope onto the spool, free-spooled it back off, and then powered it back in under light load (per Warn's instructions). All good during install. Except I forgot to put the nylon sleeve on the rope too! Didn't use the winch again until last night in the driveway. I free-spooled the rope all the way out to put the nylon sleeve on. When I started powering the rope back onto the drum (with no load on it), it spooled 5 wraps onto the drum and then the motor stopped. Hitting the In or Out button on the remote just causes a clicking in the control pack, but the motor doesn't turn. Checked all the power connections and all good.

Of course, Warn customer support is closed on weekends, as is my nearest Warn certified service shop (100 miles away). I bought mine from Krawloff-road.com. I just PM'ed Jeremy to see if he had any suggestions. I don't want to have to reinstall in that [email protected]#$ Hard Rock bumper again, but I'd sure like to have a winch that works out of the box. Hopefully Jeremy can do a swap for me like Zoro did for RT.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What?!? As much as I've heard how Warn is the Only way to go, how they're built sooo good and everything else is junk, how could this be?

Maybe if your stuck my pos quadratec winch can pull you out. I mean that is if you would allow such a poorly chinese made product do that.

Sorry for the rant, but everytime I read a thread on winches the people of the warn owners club are perched in their towers looking down on the lay people who don't have $$$$$ to drop on a warn.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sounds like a problem with wiring. There was a thread on a similar problem that turned into another warn blah blah blah thread.

Check all the lug solders on all battery type cables to solenoid and battery. Guaranteed this is your problem. Sounds like warn received a bad batch of cables.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another Option

Here is another option. ComeUp was the manufacturer of the Superwinch EP series winches. The ComeUp Seal Series winches which meet IP68 standards, meaning they are waterproof. They also have a patented brake design that is outside of the drum, ideal for keeping heat away from synthetic rope. Here is an example of how well the brake works. They are available from Rokmen in Colorado where the video was done. Also from Morris 4x4 for those on the East coast and Northridge 4x4 for those on the West coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BidthuzSRc

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got almost the exact same problem. I installed my new Zeon 10-S last weekend. Powered the rope onto the spool, free-spooled it back off, and then powered it back in under light load (per Warn's instructions). All good during install. Except I forgot to put the nylon sleeve on the rope too! Didn't use the winch again until last night in the driveway. I free-spooled the rope all the way out to put the nylon sleeve on. When I started powering the rope back onto the drum (with no load on it), it spooled 5 wraps onto the drum and then the motor stopped. Hitting the In or Out button on the remote just causes a clicking in the control pack, but the motor doesn't turn. Checked all the power connections and all good.

Of course, Warn customer support is closed on weekends, as is my nearest Warn certified service shop (100 miles away). I bought mine from Krawloff-road.com. I just PM'ed Jeremy to see if he had any suggestions. I don't want to have to reinstall in that [email protected]#$ Hard Rock bumper again, but I'd sure like to have a winch that works out of the box. Hopefully Jeremy can do a swap for me like Zoro did for RT.
Ok, you can restore Warn to its Elite status. My crisis has been resolved. Found that the negative lead was loose where it connects to the back of the winch. Tightened it up and now its running like a champ. Just an install problem, not a Warn quality assurance issue.

On a side note, the guys at Krawloff-road.com get an A++ on their customer service. Jeremy was super fast on responding to me, and gave me several troubleshooting tips throughout the weekend. Thanks KoR!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ok, you can restore Warn to its Elite status. My crisis has been resolved. Found that the negative lead was loose where it connects to the back of the winch. Tightened it up and now its running like a champ. Just an install problem, not a Warn quality assurance issue.

On a side note, the guys at Krawloff-road.com get an A++ on their customer service. Jeremy was super fast on responding to me, and gave me several troubleshooting tips throughout the weekend. Thanks KoR!!
Dude I am GLAD to hear that! Awesome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts