Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post this in case someone else ends up with a similar noise. I have been experiencing a noise ever since I bought my jeep a little bit ago. It seemed to only do it when the jeep would rock back and forth or hit a good bump. I would always hear it when I drove down or up my driveway as there is a good bump going up and down. I went out today to inspect my suspension parts and turns out the passenger side coil/spring is rubbing against the frame of the jeep.

Below are some pics. The first one is of my driver side with no contact. The next 2 are of my pass. side where you can see there is contact against the side of the box/frame thing there.

As far as fixing this......Can I just pull it off and move it around to get it away from the frame?

Also, not to take away from this thread, I bought the jeep with what I am assuming a leveling kit type lift, is that right? There are rancho shocks and rubber things on top of the coils all around. So does that mean mine has the 2.5 in lift on it? Or is this a stock setup? I'm going on a limb here and going to say this isn't stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are not stock, commonly called a budget boost, just spacers on top of the springs.....

As far as the rubbing.... Are the springs upside down by any chance? I'd have to go look in the garage to see if mine are more narrow on top....
Thats a good question. I bought it this way so I am not really sure. Id appreciate if you would be able to tell me based on how yours looks. I figured it was a budget boost. They went cheap on me...oh well. For now I will just turn it until it doesnt make contact with anything.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Usually the spacers have a centering nub on the spacer to hold the spring centered. Looks like your lift might be a Farm Technology lift.

J

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually the spacers have a centering nub on the spacer to hold the spring centered. Looks like your lift might be a Farm Technology lift.

J

Okay cool. I'm getting ready to pull the spring off and try to get it back on there the right way.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
752 Posts

J
X2. The spacer might be upside down with the centering part in the isolator rather than in the spring.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to slide the spring around and it's now away from the frame. Took me almost all night. The stupid end links were fused together. I ended up cutting it to pieces just to remove it. Good news, the noise is gone. Finally, been listening to that noise since I bought it.

Thanks again for the help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts