Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be new to some folks but I've been going crazy trying to figure out a strange noise coming from the rear of my new JK 2 door. I've had it about 4 months and until 6 weeks ago it's been quiet and rattle free. Then I started getting a noise when I rode over small sharp imperfections in the road. It sounded like a wiring harness or cable slapping against either sheet metal or the hardtop. At first I thought it was related to the rear seat but It did it whether it was folded or not. Looked in the jack storage area, under the vehicle, even checked that the rear wiper motor was secured. Nothing. I was seriously considering taking it to the dealer and decided to give it one more shot. Going to lunch one day I flipped the keys to a co-worked and squeezed myself in the back seat to have a listen. Sure enough we didn't get very far and it started again. Sound like it was coming from the rear glass or tail gate. I reached across the seat back and pressed against the bottom edge of the glass. Everything went quiet. Before that I would have bet money something was rattling instead of a seal making noise against the tail gate. When I got home I cleaned and waxed the top inner lip of the gate and wiped the seal on the rear glass with a silicon spray. Did the same for the 2 front doors and now it's just as quiet as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good job!! Its funny the way the noise radiates throught the jeep. And it is hard to pinpoint. I swore my freedom panels were creaking on my half top.I tried to resolve it in different ways with no results. One day I took off the homemade tonneau to haul my tools and the noise stopped! Here it was the rubber against the paint. Silicon solved the problem there too!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I too had a similar sound emanating from the rear of the damn thing. Took me weeks to find it, ended up riding around in the back with the rear seat out to pinpoint it down to inside the tailgate. Took the vent section out to discover the wiring loom and associated plug had come away from the push in plastic holder and was slapping against the inside of the tailgate. Cable tied the loom back to the plastic push in holder and rattle has been gone ever since.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I discovered an odd noise that I finally traced to the rear seat belts fluttering randomly.

Still tracking something behind the dash that on opening the driver door 1st thing in the mornings, sounds like a hard drive or turbo of some kind winding down.....only nothing is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts