Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained and filled both diffs on my 2015 JK with only 17k miles on it. Stuck to the drain plug magnet on the rear diff was what looks like a needle bearing. Its about 1"x1/8" in size. I looked at parts drawings and don't see anything like this. Also attached to the magnet was a lot of goldish copper color type of metal residue. The bearing looks like it was working because it has polished wear on it. This Jeep has the standard open diff 3:31 gear Dana 44. Any ideas what this could be? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,021 Posts
If you're still factory gearing you're still under warranty. Get that thing into the dealer. That's not good.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
BTW - the factory standard gearing is 3.27:1. (Some packages and the Rubicons come with lower gearing).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer won't touch it because there are no problems. They want $100 to look at it. Pinion bearings seem to be much larger than this. Pinion bearing looked more like a wheel bearing. Still have no idea what this came from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me the worst thing about owning a Jeep is we don't have any dependable dealerships here in a population of one million. Every experience I've had with them has been a nightmare. I totally dread taking my Jeep in for warranty work. I know something will get damaged or broken or maybe just the typical door dings the dealer seems to be able to add each time.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
For me the worst thing about owning a Jeep is we don't have any dependable dealerships here in a population of one million. Every experience I've had with them has been a nightmare. I totally dread taking my Jeep in for warranty work. I know something will get damaged or broken or maybe just the typical door dings the dealer seems to be able to add each time.
It looks to me like a locating pin more than a bearing. Some diffs have pins like that to locate things like the axles. But I don't know what, if anything, in that rear diff that would use a locating pin like that.
It is entirely possible that it is something that fell into the diff as it was being built, and it has been there stuck to the magnet the whole time.

Our Jeep has not been back to the dealer, any dealer, since we drove it off the lot. If it needs to be worked on I will take it to a shop I trust unless it is something seriously major.

·
Administrator
12,468 Posts
some sort of roll pin, from the spider gears would be my guess.. not good.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Yeah that holds the cross pin in the carrier... It is entirely possible that cross pin is now lodged in there with no play and it might not be an issue for a long time. If you want the dealer to do something about it, you have to let it break. In order to do warranty work they need to send FCA a broken part. No broken part = no warranty claim. If you have not opened the rear diff, don't. Just put it back on the magnet and refill, and wait for it to fail catastrophically. Once you verify the pin actually fell out

Get a fiber optic camera for your phone and spin the diff till you can see the hole, take a pic of the missing pin and you might be able to argue that either the pin or the shaft is out of spec and thus broken.

If you just want it fixed, take it to a shop and pay them.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse for a re-gear. Get new parts in there and have a Jeep that drives better.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Yeah that holds the cross pin in the carrier... It is entirely possible that cross pin is now lodged in there with no play and it might not be an issue for a long time. If you want the dealer to do something about it, you have to let it break. In order to do warranty work they need to send FCA a broken part. No broken part = no warranty claim. If you have not opened the rear diff, don't. Just put it back on the magnet and refill, and wait for it to fail catastrophically. Once you verify the pin actually fell out

Get a fiber optic camera for your phone and spin the diff till you can see the hole, take a pic of the missing pin and you might be able to argue that either the pin or the shaft is out of spec and thus broken.

The problem here is that someone needs to physically take a look at the cross shaft and see if there is a pin missing. Without it the pin is going to come out of the carrier at some point and the diff will lock solid. This is a major issue at highway speeds and has happened more than once. One time to my son who had a 44 in a Scrambler. Please avoid this issue. On the other side of the coin, over the years I have found "extras" from the factory on a couple occasions and that could be the case here but don't take the chance. Put eyeballs on this thing to make sure there is a pin in place ASAP. Dana has used both solid and split pins over the years and I've never seen a split pin come out but solids have come out occasionally. I wouldn't drive this thing until I looked.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The problem here is that someone needs to physically take a look at the cross shaft and see if there is a pin missing. Without it the pin is going to come out of the carrier at some point and the diff will lock solid. This is a major issue at highway speeds and has happened more than once. One time to my son who had a 44 in a Scrambler. Please avoid this issue. On the other side of the coin, over the years I have found "extras" from the factory on a couple occasions and that could be the case here but don't take the chance. Put eyeballs on this thing to make sure there is a pin in place ASAP. Dana has used both solid and split pins over the years and I've never seen a split pin come out but solids have come out occasionally. I wouldn't drive this thing until I looked.
You are right, that is why I suggested the camera, or he could also just agree to pay the inspection fee, if they find that it is in fact missing the pin, then there should be a way to make a warranty claim and the fee waved. I highly recommend that he not look himself but have the dealer open it. I recently had some drama in that respect.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts

You pretty much nailed it. It has to fail before the warranty will cover it. I think I'd reach out to Jeep Cares on this one. An early fix is going to cost Jeep a lot less than a catastrophic failure. Hopefully someone in Jeep realizes that and will do something.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You pretty much nailed it. It has to fail before the warranty will cover it. I think I'd reach out to Jeep Cares on this one. An early fix is going to cost Jeep a lot less than a catastrophic failure. Hopefully someone in Jeep realizes that and will do something.
When the pin fell out it failed.
I understand that Jeep dealers may charge an inspection fee to ascertain that it has fallen out but after that it shouldn't be an issue regarding a warranty claim. That is a safety issue and you should not have to wait until it experiences a catastrophic failure before they do something. I am confident that I could get the service manager or a factory repto see that from my point of view.

·
Super Moderator
22,100 Posts
think of the liability on both the owner who know knows there may be a potential for rear axle lock up and the dealer who knows there may be a potential rear wheel lock up. If I were the dealer I would send a flat bed and if I were the owner I would not drive it. @JeepCares needs to jump in here.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
When the pin fell out it failed.
I understand that Jeep dealers may charge an inspection fee to ascertain that it has fallen out but after that it shouldn't be an issue regarding a warranty claim. That is a safety issue and you should not have to wait until it experiences a catastrophic failure before they do something. I am confident that I could get the service manager or a factory repto see that from my point of view.
Absolutely, I would pursue it. Get Jeep Cares involved. The liability if an accident occurs could be tremendous.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts