Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have some questions about four wheel drive. This is my first jeep and first vehicle that has four wheel drive. I used to drive a Mazda 2. So ahead of time please forgive my ignorance. So my questions are is it okay to leave the 4wd H engaged when I turn my jeep off? I am at the beach and as soon as I get on pavement I will shift back in to 2wd. Another question I have is that's a little off subject is the over all speed I drive while in 2wd. Obviously the jeep isn't meant for speed but I was curious if it will damage the jeep to go 80 on the highway. I have a long drive home.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes you can leave it in either 4 High or 4Low and turn the vehicle off.

As far as driving 80 mph the simple answer is no it won't hurt it. I will spare you the "as long as conditions allow" speech. I have hit 90 mph a couple of times. :-D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha okay well I appreciate your help!!! I was worried I was going to mess something up by driving that fast. 😁

·
Registered
356 Posts
I live in the Austin, TX area. They just opened 2 toll roads here in the last several years. The one right outside my neighborhood has an 80 mph speed limit and I drive that speed all the time.

The one to the south of us has an 85 mph limit, with my 2010 JKU I had a little bit of a hard time holding that speed on a windy day, have not been down that far with my 2015 yet.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yeah, turning it off in 4H/4L is fine, it won't hurt anything....but I don't recommend to doing....mostly because you might forget that it is in 4WD when you start it back up. I've done that before in really bad snow on a drive home. The next day, after things were plowed, I was "reminded" by the vehicle that I never shifted back into 2WD.

As for speed....the biggest limiter is the barn like shape of a Wrangler and the hit to your wallet for gas.

I've hit 100 mph before in my Sahara. The ride was actually pretty smooth....oh and I was in Sunrider mode!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you turn off an auto in 4-lo and in drive/reverse be aware you'll get a little lurch when you restart it.

It won't hurt the vehicle but make sure nobody is right in front/behind the jeep when you do it.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Hello I have some questions about four wheel drive. This is my first jeep and first vehicle that has four wheel drive. I used to drive a Mazda 2. So ahead of time please forgive my ignorance. So my questions are is it okay to leave the 4wd H engaged when I turn my jeep off? I am at the beach and as soon as I get on pavement I will shift back in to 2wd. Another question I have is that's a little off subject is the over all speed I drive while in 2wd. Obviously the jeep isn't meant for speed but I was curious if it will damage the jeep to go 80 on the highway. I have a long drive home.
your assumptions are all correct. lots of people up north dont come out of 4wd for months at a time.

80 in a jeep, assuming it is how it came from the factory, is no problem. I did 100 on a long drive just to see if it would.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts