Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded our '14 Cherokee Trailhawk on a '15 Wrangler Unlimited. I know it is only part time 4 wheel drive but I'd appreciate advice on when I can use 4 wheel drive without fear of damage to the tranny: in heavy rain on pavement? on light snow? on dirt roads? - Thanks, Ted

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You should read your owners manual, it has tons of useful information on how every system on your new JK works.
But: Payment not ok unless it's covered with snow.
Dirt roads, ok but most likely not needed.
Wet payment, not ok.
Mud, ok
Congratulations on your new ride..

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Jeep also has a video on YouTube that does a pretty good job of displaying how and when you should use your 4x4. Search jeep wrangler 4x4 system and watch the first three videos.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure if you know but keep in mind that if your in 4wheel drive be aware that when you make SHARP tight turns it might make noise or not turn. I never realized that until I tried it. When you think about it; it makes sense. :) You also might want to testing out 4LO as well. But, only do that on gravel, etc.. or deep snow , mud.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Even off road, you will find sometimes you will get a bind-up in your transfer case and driveline from turns. This when you do what we call the two-step, backup for a little bit to unbind the system from your outside tires having to go further than your inside tires"of the turns you make". So you can shift back to two wheel...

·
Registered
615 Posts
When operating in true 4X4 the drivetrain tries to make all 4 wheels turn at the same speed. When cornering all 4 wheels turn at different speeds and the 2 on the inside MUST be able to slip and spin slightly since they have less distance to travel, yet are turning at the same speed. If traction is good enough that they can't slip you put everything in a bind. The sharper the turn the more noticeable. Many cars and SUV's have All wheel drive systems. Those systems will allow each wheel to turn at different speeds and can be used on pavement. They are really the best system for snow/ice or wet pavement. They don't perform nearly as well in severe off road conditions though.

With time and experience you'll figure it out. In a straight line for short distances it won't hurt anything on pavement, no cornering. Gravel roads won't hurt a thing, but hard packed dirt gives pretty good traction and 4X4 should not be used. I don't advise it at all on wet pavement even though it may be slick enough to minimize damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts