Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks with compression adjustment on a 2 door? I like the overall performance of Fox 2.0 shocks but the compliance is lacking, especially on my light 2dr JK. I see the only adjustable shock they have is the remote reservoir. I'd like to soften the impact of potholes and road imperfections while maintaining on-road handling. I'm a huge fan of how plush the Rocksport shocks are but they certainly allow more body movement during acceleration, braking, and cornering. I've had adjustable shocks/struts on other vehicles with good success. I looked at the Falcons but I've read they are valved very stiff for a 2 door. Wondering if the adjustable foxes might be compliant enough at lower settings and more compliant than the standard 2.0 non-reservoir version. I'm not interested in the expense of the Fox 2.5 DSC or even the slightly cheaper King 2.5 adjustables. I did consider the Teraflex tuned Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks or the BDS tuned Fox 2.0's, and would be willing to consider feedback on those especially if you can contrast them to the OTS Foxes. Any insight you have is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What springs are you running? The two door is unforgiving "imo" with it' short wheelbase. I initially had the four door springs on it and also the stock two door springs. Tried the rancho 9000's because so highly regarded here. Total waste of time installing and removing. They faded really bad with any extended highway use here it rutted and seamed road NY. Actually worst shock experience in 40+ years of driving and million miles +. Went with custom valved 2.5" king adjustables. " five years 60K miles" Couldn't be happier. Have since switched my springs to AEV 2.5" and just took the adjusters down two notches and again great ride, no sway or bounce, no fading. I also found that with softer springs the jeep really benefited with a stiffer rear sway bar on the road, I use the Hellwig. That was the best buck mod as far as a positive ride difference I've done in the 12 years, 120k miles I have owned the jeep. The sway bar keeps it flatter in the turns and helps keep it steadier on the highway with the tractor trailers blowing by. I know not an exact answer to your question, but I think once you move up to the higher end reservoir shocks, especially on a two door, you will be wondering why you didn't do it earlier. I would try to match the springs and shocks. If you are getting shocks tuned then the company will match the shocks to your jeep taking into consideration the springs, weight and distribution and how you plan to use the rig among other items.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the 2 door's short wheelbase is unforgiving. My wife's JKU is a luxury SUV in comparison. I'm currently running JKS 3.5" springs on the JK. I've run Synergy in the past and may go back to them. I know the issue can be addressed with the shocks rather than springs as I've experienced the difference between Fox 2.0, Rocksport, and Eibach shocks with the same springs. I think the 2dr needs less high speed compression damping. I'm hoping that the off the shelf adjustable Foxes could be adjusted softer than the non-reservoir 2.0's, and like that adjustables allow fine tuning because I'm super picky and have also been trying different springs. And because I like trying different springs, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on a custom tuned set of Kings or Foxes until I settle on a set of springs.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
Really when it comes to pot holes, expansion joints it is the control arm angle that is the enemy. Drop brackets are your friend for this but of course if you play in the rocks you start hanging up on them.

If it was me I would not even think about shocks until you settle on springs. Fox 2.0 adjustable are still pretty expensive and may not be the best fit for the spring you finally settle on. Also it is rumored that MetalCloak is coming out with an adjustable resi shock. I don't know when but I might actually get a set and put the 6Paks on the shelf.

Reactions: boosthead

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running Rancho brackets up front. I hear you about geometry impacting harshness, but can tell you that I felt no harshness with the Rocksports installed. I'm looking for shocks that can absorb those impacts like the rocksports but better control weight transfer like the Foxes. Thanks for the note about the Metalcloak resi shocks. I saw that teaser but forgot that.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Lower tire pressure will help with the harshness of road imperfections to a point, worth trying since it is free. The sway bar is real inexpensive also, AEV recommends it with their 3.5" lift. Not going to help with impacts , but will with side to side weight transfer. Synergy does make a nice riding spring, they were on my short list. I bet the JKS springs would ride better with more weight also. When my jeep is loaded down the aev springs feel smoother. I run the Steersmarts hd attenuator along with a fox ATS stabilizer which helps with the front end suspension hits. Are you still with stock type rubber joints? Being picky is what enthusiasts are all about.... :) I can feel when my jeep needs a new coat of wax because of the increased drag.................

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lower tire pressure will help with the harshness of road imperfections to a point, worth trying since it is free. The sway bar is real inexpensive also, AEV recommends it with their 3.5" lift. Not going to help with impacts , but will with side to side weight transfer. Synergy does make a nice riding spring, they were on my short list. I bet the JKS springs would ride better with more weight also. When my jeep is loaded down the aev springs feel smoother. I run the Steersmarts hd attenuator along with a fox ATS stabilizer which helps with the front end suspension hits. Are you still with stock type rubber joints? Being picky is what enthusiasts are all about.... :) I can feel when my jeep needs a new coat of wax because of the increased drag.................
I've lowered tire pressure for even wear. Currently running 31psi +/- depending on the temperature. I've run lower and could potentially drop it lower but steering feel and wear are good at my current psi. I have looked at the AEV rear sway bar. I like the bend that clears the exhaust. I'm sure it helps with side to side weight transfer. I'm running stock control arms currently. Driving on fairly smooth roads is fine. Off road is fine. It really is just the broken road with series of patched potholes and sections of road that have been repaved that are the issue. I think my current eibach shocks could actually have slightly stiffer low speed damping and still be comfortable, but the high speed damping could be softer. I called Accutune at the suggestion of many threads I've read and they said to expect all OTS foxes to be harsh on the 2dr as they were originally tuned for the 4dr. I guess I have to decide whether I want to spend the money on custom tuned shocks.

·
Premium Member
17,007 Posts
@boosthead Do you still have the Rocksports? You could tie those together with the Helwig rear bar and you might find a happy medium. I run them with a soft spring and it's pretty mushy... At first I didn't think I was going to like the "less controlled" feeling, but now I'm used to it and overall, it's the best ride I've had.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
AEV has a custom bent track bar for the rear not sway bar. They recommend the Hellwig sway bar. I run the aev track bar also though. It centered the rear axle for me and it's forged and one piece. With solid axles there is only so much you can do to help with the ride. I've been running c rated tires also on the street. One other tweak, I use a Clayton rear track bar mount at the highest hole. AEV bracket I think moves rear axel point even higher. I read on their forum a lot. They seem to know what they are doing. You can get some insight from studying the improvements to the JL platform also. I thought about adding wheel spacers to mimic the wider track of the JL, but in the end felt the trade off was not worth the added complexity of the spacers. I bet your jeep rides better than most. Good luck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AEV has a custom bent track bar for the rear not sway bar. They recommend the Hellwig sway bar. I run the aev track bar also though. It centered the rear axle for me and it's forged and one piece. With solid axles there is only so much you can do to help with the ride. I've been running c rated tires also on the street. One other tweak, I use a Clayton rear track bar mount at the highest hole. AEV bracket I think moves rear axel point even higher. I read on their forum a lot. They seem to know what they are doing. You can get some insight from studying the improvements to the JL platform also. I thought about adding wheel spacers to mimic the wider track of the JL, but in the end felt the trade off was not worth the added complexity of the spacers. I bet your jeep rides better than most. Good luck.
You are 100% correct about the AEV rear track bar. Apparently this week has been far busier and stressful than I care to acknowledge. :rolleyes:
I need to be patient and not jump to spend money on this. I don't need to replace the shocks, just looking to make it incrementally better. Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@boosthead Do you still have the Rocksports? You could tie those together with the Helwig rear bar and you might find a happy medium. I run them with a soft spring and it's pretty mushy... At first I didn't think I was going to like the "less controlled" feeling, but now I'm used to it and overall, it's the best ride I've had.
I do still have the Rocksports. I was thinking this afternoon that once I get past my son's college graduation and military commissioning this weekend, I should swap them in to see how they work with the JKS springs. I last tried them with Synergy springs. Didn't try them with the Eibachs because I knew they'd be too soft. Again, I don't hate them. I like their comfort and ability to absorb bumps in addition to having a ton of travel. I definitely never complained about ride quality when they were installed. Just looking for a better compromise than what I've tried so far.
@Pressurized did I see that you've used the Rancho 5000x? I have a set of those for my LJ but haven't started that project yet, so no experience with them yet.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I do still have the Rocksports. I was thinking this afternoon that once I get past my son's college graduation and military commissioning this weekend, I should swap them in to see how they work with the JKS springs. I last tried them with Synergy springs. Didn't try them with the Eibachs because I knew they'd be too soft. Again, I don't hate them. I like their comfort and ability to absorb bumps in addition to having a ton of travel. I definitely never complained about ride quality when they were installed. Just looking for a better compromise than what I've tried so far.
@Pressurized did I see that you've used the Rancho 5000x? I have a set of those for my LJ but haven't started that project yet, so no experience with them yet.
Congratulations on your son! What branch is he going into?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
@boosthead, The OE adjustable Fox 2.0's can be adjusted softer than the non adjustable ones. And the cool thing about the Fox adjusters is that you can change low speed and hi speed compression on them separate from each other (DSC available in 2.5 Fox, the 2.0s feature an LSC adjuster). If you can afford the OE adjustables 2.0 i'll tell you pay a little more and get the Accutune version. You get them tuned for your 2 door Jeep weight and springs with better internals too. I run Kings 2.5 from Accutune in my truck and i would have saved money in the long run had i to go Accutune righ from the get go instead of OE. Day and night difference too between OE and Accutune when it comes to street and offroad. They have built me 3 different King 2.5 versions now.. currently i have their double flutter stacks, upgraded pistons, race shims etc etc. It's not cheap but when you want performance and you get used to it you want a little more everytime.

I wouldn't do adjustable 2.0's in my Jeep cause it's a 4 door and i know myself, they won't last me. lol. That's why my compromise is BDS Fox 2.0's. I don't need to go that fast with the Jeep but i refuse to go that slow in the dirt ether, its boring.. From the other shocks i tried OME L's were the only ones semi able to keep up with Fox 2.0's for longer than all the others cheapy shocks and again i don't go that fast in the Jeep but our desert washboards are really hell for standard shocks. The BDS Fox 2.0s have fully taken on that task for me. Best $800 so far in all 4 corners and i'll do it again with my eyes closed considering i've ran Rancho 9000's, RE Monotubes, RE Twins, Teraflex 9550, 5100's, OME and OME L's. I still like the last ones in the dirt. nice shocks with a good price. Not going to win a beauty contest with those yellow shocks but they drive better than the Ranchos lots of people praise aound. Cheap shocks are cheap shocks. want better?, pay more. Work as good as it sounds to say it for the most part with shocks :)

Have fun.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What springs are you running? The two door is unforgiving "imo" with it' short wheelbase. I initially had the four door springs on it and also the stock two door springs. Tried the rancho 9000's because so highly regarded here. Total waste of time installing and removing. They faded really bad with any extended highway use here it rutted and seamed road NY. Actually worst shock experience in 40+ years of driving and million miles +. Went with custom valved 2.5" king adjustables. " five years 60K miles" Couldn't be happier. Have since switched my springs to AEV 2.5" and just took the adjusters down two notches and again great ride, no sway or bounce, no fading. I also found that with softer springs the jeep really benefited with a stiffer rear sway bar on the road, I use the Hellwig. That was the best buck mod as far as a positive ride difference I've done in the 12 years, 120k miles I have owned the jeep. The sway bar keeps it flatter in the turns and helps keep it steadier on the highway with the tractor trailers blowing by. I know not an exact answer to your question, but I think once you move up to the higher end reservoir shocks, especially on a two door, you will be wondering why you didn't do it earlier. I would try to match the springs and shocks. If you are getting shocks tuned then the company will match the shocks to your jeep taking into consideration the springs, weight and distribution and how you plan to use the rig among other items.
Brilliant write up thanks. Great info to know.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@boosthead, The OE adjustable Fox 2.0's can be adjusted softer than the non adjustable ones. And the cool thing about the Fox adjusters is that you can change low speed and hi speed compression on them separate from each other. If you can afford the OE adjustables 2.0 i'll tell you pay a little more and get the Accutune version. You get them tuned for your 2 door Jeep weight and springs with better internals too. I run Kings 2.5 from Accutune in my truck and i would have saved money in the long run had i to go Accutune righ from the get go instead of OE. Day and night difference too between OE and Accutune when it comes to street and offroad. They have built me 3 different King 2.5 versions now.. currently i have their double flutter stacks, upgraded pistons, race shims etc etc. It's not cheap but when you want performance and you get used to it you want a little more everytime.

I wouldn't do adjustable 2.0's in my Jeep cause it's a 4 door and i know myself, they won't last me. lol. That's why my compromise is BDS Fox 2.0's. I don't need to go that fast with the Jeep but i refuse to go that slow in the dirt ether, its boring.. From the other shocks i tried OME L's were the only ones semi able to keep up with Fox 2.0's for longer than all the others cheapy shocks and again i don't go that fast in the Jeep but our desert washboards are really hell for standard shocks. The BDS Fox 2.0s have fully taken on that task for me. Best $800 so far in all 4 corners and i'll do it again with my eyes closed considering i've ran Rancho 9000's, RE Monotubes, RE Twins, Teraflex 9550, 5100's, OME and OME L's. I still like the last ones in the dirt. nice shocks with a good price. Not going to win a beauty contest with those yellow shocks but they drive better than the Ranchos lots of people praise aound. Cheap shocks are cheap shocks. want better?, pay more. Work as good as it sounds to say it for the most part with shocks :)

Have fun.
thanks for the info. The 2.0 adjustables I saw have a single adjustment knob and appear to change both low and high speed compression. I’ve only seen the 2.5’s with separate adjustment

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
thanks for the info. The 2.0 adjustables I saw have a single adjustment knob and appear to change both low and high speed compression. I’ve only seen the 2.5’s with separate adjustment
Shoot you're absolutely right the 2.0s don't feature the DSC like the 2.5's, they have a single compression adjuster and I'm almost positive it's for the low speed compression. Inherently there will be some bleeding towards the hi speed but You can ask Accutune for their adventure tune if you'll favor more pavement or the dual sport if you favor little more trail and that low speed compression should do the rest :)

Reactions: boosthead

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
I've lowered tire pressure for even wear. Currently running 31psi +/- depending on the temperature. I've run lower and could potentially drop it lower but steering feel and wear are good at my current psi. I have looked at the AEV rear sway bar. I like the bend that clears the exhaust. I'm sure it helps with side to side weight transfer. I'm running stock control arms currently. Driving on fairly smooth roads is fine. Off road is fine. It really is just the broken road with series of patched potholes and sections of road that have been repaved that are the issue. I think my current eibach shocks could actually have slightly stiffer low speed damping and still be comfortable, but the high speed damping could be softer. I called Accutune at the suggestion of many threads I've read and they said to expect all OTS foxes to be harsh on the 2dr as they were originally tuned for the 4dr. I guess I have to decide whether I want to spend the money on custom tuned shocks.
(Heavier) Sway bars can make the problem even worse. They are a restriction to the natural flex of the suspension system under certain conditions, and when they do activate and go into restrict mode they can (and do) transfer even more road ride into the frame.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
(Heavier) Sway bars can make the problem even worse. They are a restriction to the natural flex of the suspension system under certain conditions, and when they do activate and go into restrict mode they can (and do) transfer even more road ride into the frame.
Accepted practice in the industry is to use shocks and spring to adjust for ride and sway bars to adjust for body roll. Sway bars basically being parallel to the road don't transfer any energy into the frame, all the energy is transferred along the axle. It is almost impossible to have your cake and eat it to unless you are going to spend big bucks shocks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts