Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use for finished installing the ATS. Everything went well except for the stock stabilizer bracket removal.

Initially attempted to remove the bracket with a jack. Before the jack could lift he tires off the ground, the jack had slipped flexing the tie-rod.

I used a 12" straight edge to verify if the tie-rod was bent, however could not find any evidence of bending (not to say there isn't any).

In which case, after install at 11 clicks clockwise (from Zero), then ATS tracks more. I have to correct/saw my steering much more often. The higher the clicks, the more I saw/correct. (It's not until I turn to "0" clicks in which I feel the OEM like turning).

I did notice my steering wheel after install was a 1pm (from the previous 12pm). I just got a call from the alignment shop advising the rig was to alignment specs but he also felt the "sawing" at 11 clicks.

Any thoughts of what could of happened? I'm trying to use the purchase of a new tie-rod as a last resort.

Could it be an install issue? Does anybody recall their instal?

Facing the ATS:

1 - Lock Nut
2 - Spacer
3 - Grommet - ATS Shock - Grommet
4 - FOX trackbar/stabikizer bolt
5 - Trackbar bracket
6 - Trackbar
7 - Back of the trackbar bracket
8 - Flag Nut

Trackbar bolt torqued to 125lbs and Stabilizer nut torques to 60lbs.

Could it be small of an issue of a missing spacer at 3A?

Trying to give as much info as possible, lemme know if you have any ideas on why I'm sawing/correcting the way I do at 11 clicks?

Faulty shock? Bad install? Tie Rod ends messed up after the Jack slip? Didn't pray hard enough?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction: for steps 3. I meant to say "washer" (not spacer).

So if there should be a "washer" between steps 3 and 4?

I know the Jeep suspension can be incredibly finicky and even something as a washer (or incorrect bolt size) can throw things out of whack.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I installed mine a while ago (maybe 2 years or so) so I'm a little fuzzy on the install details.

But did the shock feel stiff to you when you installed it? If it were bad I would think it would have felt really loose.

Do you have the alignment print out to post? Im sure the shop knew what they were doing but sometimes you never know lol.

You say it felt like OEM on 0? so does that mean no sawing when its on 0?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
It should not matter how its mounted as long as theres travel in both directions and doesn't bind/contact anything turning. Many dont use the supplied combo track bar bolt. Instead bolt directly to a track bar bracket. I needed spacers to clearance the body from the bracket.

One member recently had issues with the ATS. FOX sent him a new shock i believe .. You might want to call them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is less sawing at full counter clockwise (0). No binding, was able to compress to shock and leave 1/4" extension (maybe a tad bit more) when installing whilst having the steering wheel turned right at full lock.

Recently whilst installing brakes i noticed some of my counter weights peeled off... I don't believe that to be the issue and the OEM stabilizer masking it...

I'll call FOX and ask, but would also hate to get a new Tie Rod and the same thing happens.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the rig back today from the alignment.

From what they referenced when they tried to make the steering wheel straight (from approx 1pm to 12pm) the traction control light came on.

They also test drive it a few times and also couldn't figure out the 'sawing/correcting/flight' issue (however they do mostly deal with sport compact cars).

So even at 0 clicks (and no visible signs of a bend), I'm back to somewhat of an OEM feel, with a tad bit more correcting.

Any ideas?

(I've also called Fox and they told me that he higher setting - would cause more correcting?)

image-1435446145.jpg

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Got the rig back today from the alignment. From what they referenced when they tried to make the steering wheel straight (from approx 1pm to 12pm) the traction control light came on. They also test drive it a few times and also couldn't figure out the 'sawing/correcting/flight' issue (however they do mostly deal with sport compact cars). So even at 0 clicks (and no visible signs of a bend), I'm back to somewhat of an OEM feel, with a tad bit more correcting. Any ideas? (I've also called Fox and they told me that he higher setting - would cause more correcting?)
Caster??

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My previous alignment referenced a castor of 5°. Unless this could have changed after some off-road conditions?

There wasn't any issue with the tracking/correcting/sawing before the Fox ATS this past weekend, just after.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a pix of the tie-rod; hmmm just makes me think perhaps not a bend in the Rod section bs the joint area? Man... Should of let the pros deal with it...

image-2863067495.jpg

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try that next. Perhaps the stabilizer is magnifying something already existing?

Keep all posted, thanks KJeeper!

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I'll try that next. Perhaps the stabilizer is magnifying something already existing? Keep all posted, thanks KJeeper!
Like said earlier. Somebody had a issue with their ATS. Something about the charge. I dont recall the issue he was having. Whatever it was Fox Replaced the shock after testing and the issue went away.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(I believe the issue was whether it be 1 click it 24 clicks, the ATS feels the same. In my instance I could feel the difference in clicks. Let's hope it's as easy as breaking something in and fully cycling the stabilizer).

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to keep everyone updated.

I have yet to disconnect the FOX ATS, but after tonight's drive (at 5 clicks) the Traction Control light went off.

A good indicator I did do some damage to my tie-rod.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:

Looking at the garage floor, saw some red fluid pooled. Turns out the Fox ATS was leaking fluid!

Finally got around to removing the stabilizer to ship for warranty today...

BUT after removal the sloppy (sawing) still persists? (Keep in mind this was all noticeable directly after the Fox ATS install and snafu).

Also take note, I just had my tie-rod & drag-link replaced (assuming that would resolve the issue).

So what shall I check next? Could poorly balanced tired cause this sloppy steering? Or maybe bad ball joints? (Perhaps the jarring of the tie-rod made issue with the ball joint OR the new Fox ATS didn't mask a precious issue that the OEM stabilizer has?)

So what's next?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
UPDATE:

Looking at the garage floor, saw some red fluid pooled. Turns out the Fox ATS was leaking fluid!

Finally got around to removing the stabilizer to ship for warranty today...

BUT after removal the sloppy (sawing) still persists? (Keep in mind this was all noticeable directly after the Fox ATS install and snafu).

Also take note, I just had my tie-rod & drag-link replaced (assuming that would resolve the issue).

So what shall I check next? Could poorly balanced tired cause this sloppy steering? Or maybe bad ball joints? (Perhaps the jarring of the tie-rod made issue with the ball joint OR the new Fox ATS didn't mask a precious issue that the OEM stabilizer has?)

So what's next?
I would watch under neath with someone turning/shaking the steering wheel from side to side to see if there is any movement and play where there shouldn't be. Rotate the tires and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will the Fox ATS work with my setup? I recently replaced everything on the front end. Upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, high steer drag link with flip adapter, tie rod, track bar, track bar brace, and Rubicon Express SS. I have 37/13.5/20 tires. It does still have a little play, but my biggest problem is when I hit a puddle of water on the highway. The jeep will jerk to that side and want to go off the road. Would the ATS fix that issue?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Will the Fox ATS work with my setup? I recently replaced everything on the front end. Upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, high steer drag link with flip adapter, tie rod, track bar, track bar brace, and Rubicon Express SS. I have 37/13.5/20 tires. It does still have a little play, but my biggest problem is when I hit a puddle of water on the highway. The jeep will jerk to that side and want to go off the road. Would the ATS fix that issue?
You need to raise the TB ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It should not matter how its mounted as long as theres travel in both directions and doesn't bind/contact anything turning. Many dont use the supplied combo track bar bolt. Instead bolt directly to a track bar bracket. I needed spacers to clearance the body from the bracket.

One member recently had issues with the ATS. FOX sent him a new shock i believe .. You might want to call them.
I just installed my ATS a few weeks ago. Love it, but if I hit an off center bump the steering tightens for an instant, like I lost the pump or something, but it's something other than the stabilizer simply doing it's job. I called Fox but they were no help. Thoughts?

Also wondering, why are folks not running the double bolt it came with? It was a huge pain to get wrenches in there!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just installed my ATS a few weeks ago. Love it, but if I hit an off center bump the steering tightens for an instant, like I lost the pump or something, but it's something other than the stabilizer simply doing it's job. I called Fox but they were no help. Thoughts?

Also wondering, why are folks not running the double bolt it came with? It was a huge pain to get wrenches in there!
Brings this back up..

I'm running a RK 2.5" lift and using the double bolt to attach the Fox ATS stabilizer and RK track bar together in the same hole.

Is this the optimum way to do this for my lift? I don't know.. @kjeeper10 told me to get a Synergy Stabilizer bracket. There is a stabilizer black and a a track bar bracket....seems they might kind of,do the same but the Synergy Track Bar Bracket,says for 3"+ lifts.

My Jeep drives really good zero issues. When the local dealer installed my Mopar Big Brake kit and did the test drive the tech came out to question me on the lift and everything because he said he has never driven a Jeep that steers as nice as mine. Hummm....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts